Silverware at Carronade

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Silverware at Carronade

Post by barr7430 » Sat May 10, 2008 8:55 pm

Peter, Peter, Kev, Adrian and myself were very pleased to pick up the Carronade Trophy for our League of Gentlemen Wargamer's LIGNY 1815 game.
It was a true team effort but we all felt the clincher was Adrian's terrain which marked the game out. We were happy to let him take the cup and shield to Grimsby as that is the ONLY silverware which is likely to reach the North Lincolnshire coast this century :wink: Come on Town!!! :roll:

The show was a great success. Lovely venue, bright, spacious, clean, good organisation, painting competitions, flea market and fresh trader
selection.

Games were of a generally good standard with a wide variety.

Full marks to Falkirk Club for another splendid effort.

My two-penneth:

Publicise the PAINTING COMPETITIONS more.. there are many fantastic painters in Scotland but I don't think the opportunity to enter was widely trailed.

Otherwise... great event! :D
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
martin terroni
Captain
Captain

Post by martin terroni » Sun May 11, 2008 8:35 am

Well done guys, the brief glimpse I got of the table, the terrain was outstanding! Loved the new location, although I did go the wrong way in Falkirk, but ended up in the same place :shock: Plenty of room for expansion. Do agree with you Barry, there was acres of space for the painting competition, but not a lot on view! The flea market was ace again and other shows seems to be taking an interest in running b&bs this way. Only problem I had on Saturday was not enough time to chat, sorry Barry :evil:

Thumbs upto Falkirk for another cracking show! :P
"There's no booze, there's no broads, there's no action!
Brian
Private
Private

Post by Brian » Sun May 11, 2008 1:28 pm

Well done guys, very much deserved, a fantastic looking game with stunning scenery and great looking figures.

Cheers
Brian
A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of coloured ribbon.

Napoleon
big-gazza
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Location: Married with Children........in Strathaven, Scotland.

Post by big-gazza » Sun May 11, 2008 4:36 pm

Hi,
well done chaps. Couldn't make the show due to work but I'm looking forward to seeing the pics.

Gazza
Alpha
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Alpha » Sun May 11, 2008 5:53 pm

Well done guys. I couldn't make the show due to the flue but can't wait to see images of the game!
David
kutusov
Captain
Captain

Post by kutusov » Tue May 13, 2008 9:35 am

Congratulations with the win made all the more splendid as IMO you were up against some very good competition on the day.

Great show ,great venue,loads of traders, pity the swimming pool wasn't open I could of cooled my feet off during the day :shock:

kutusov
Atheling
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Atheling » Tue May 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Congrats to the Gentlemen. A great display game and I don't think I've ever seen that many 28mm Naps on one table before. I don't think I would coped if I were to see the whole game :) .

I'm going to be a little controversial and say that there was only one game that came close to yours and that was the ECW game (near the entrance?) I actually thought that the quality of some games was a little lacking :shock: . Just being honest guv.....

Anyway, generally the show was great and it was good to catch up with folk and have a natter (despite both Saby and I locking ourselves out of the car :lol: ).

Cheers,

Darrell.
Just Add Water High Quality Painting Service:
http://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/
Gawalthaufen Blog (Late 15C Warfare):
http://gewalthaufen.blogspot.co.uk/
La Journee Blog (Early 15thC Warfare):
http://lajourney-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/
Michael

Post by Michael » Wed May 14, 2008 1:51 am

Great display game, gentlemen! And well deserved award. Let me know where to send you some of the images I took on the day. I have already sent a good number to Wargames Illustrated who appear keen to use them.
"Being shot at focuses the mind wonderfully."
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Wed May 14, 2008 5:58 pm

atheling. I don't think that you are controversial at all. that was our game from Sunny Dumfries.
Thirty years war.
thanks
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Wed May 14, 2008 7:59 pm

Jim and the gents from Dumfries are to be congratulated. In my all too short a stay :cry: , there were a few tables that really caught the eye - theirs being one of them :)
Thinredline
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
Michael

Post by Michael » Wed May 14, 2008 10:48 pm

Jim, I also have some pics of your game. If you are interested, I can send you some.
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Thu May 15, 2008 12:08 am

Thanks Michael that would be very kind of you.
Cheers
e: mail?
Michael

Post by Michael » Thu May 15, 2008 12:22 am

Jim,

Yes, I'll email them to you if you give me your address. I've sent the pics to WI, so here's hoping your game reaches a wider audience!
Atheling
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Atheling » Thu May 15, 2008 10:16 am

j1mwallace wrote:atheling. I don't think that you are controversial at all. that was our game from Sunny Dumfries.
Thirty years war.
thanks
I spent half the afternoon in a bit of a panic as my girlfriend had locked the keys in the boot of our car (wasn't me honest :D ) thus the purchases (lucky in a way) and 'table time' was short, thus my assumption that it was an ECW game.

Having said that you look at a game and usually assess reasonably quickly the effort, patience, talent and sheer passion that has gone into putting a game together.

I'm currently putting together a game with a mate that due to make it's debut at Claymore so I can appreciate the efforts that go into putting a game together a little more as it will be my first. BTW, it's going to be The Battle Arsuf and we've had a bit of a problem sourcing mini's for it as 1191 is a difficult year for Frankish warfare in the East. Lots of ranges either side of that date but very little that are spot on. So, lot's of head swaps and greenstuff are the order of the day.

With the difficulties that go into producing a good visual game in mind I can understand folk using what scenery they have at hand, but I'm still a little dubious about the two games I saw where carpet tiles were in use with 28mm mini's. I hope that I'm not being too harsh, I don't want to rain on the parade of anyone who puts a game on at a show, it's just that I feel that the visual impact of a game should hit you and make you think "wow!", "that's amazing!" etc. The Thirty Years War and the Ligny game both did that very well IMHO. Some other games were lacking....

Honesty the best policy (?) :)

Cheers,

Darrell.
Just Add Water High Quality Painting Service:
http://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/
Gawalthaufen Blog (Late 15C Warfare):
http://gewalthaufen.blogspot.co.uk/
La Journee Blog (Early 15thC Warfare):
http://lajourney-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/
Rank Bajin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Rank Bajin » Fri May 16, 2008 12:28 am

Floor tiles!! That'd be sheer bloody luxury. Round these parts folk have been known to play (at display games) on a green painted board, with skabby bits of coloured felt for hills, woods etc. and unpainted figures!

Seriously, as Darrell says its the spectacle that is the thing. Good scenery is what sets the good displays apart and provides us all with an inspiration.

I look forward to seeing more of the 30yrs war game and more photos of the Ligny game!!

all the best

Roy