What kind and types of figures are most required.

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
Anonymous

What kind and types of figures are most required.

Post by Anonymous » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:35 pm

I intend to talk to some manufacturers and sculptors at Historicon vis a vis
getting figures made for the period 1680-1707.
That will be compatible with Foundry, Old Glory, Imperialist Enterprises and Dixon. I have been told there are a lot missing types like cavalry, pike etc. Now remember to get figures manufactured etc they will need information in the form of pictures drawings etc as regards uniforms etc. It is impossible to describe complete figures by word and expect a sculptor regardless how good he is to know exactly what is needed. So firstly we have to define what is missing from the ranges available and then see if we collectivley have enough information that a sculptor can work with.Needless to say that there must be a market for figures too.Two years ago I was luck enough to find a friend interested in a Macbeth army and we managed to get 200 Highland Islesmen cast for us by Nic Robson of Eureka( two figures with about 4 varations of each in head type and dress). He is one of the people I will be speaking to amongst others he is also a very nice guy and a wargamer :D .He has run the 100 club at Eureka successfullly for a number of years and produced some minitures unavailable by other manufacturers.Large productions runs mean a minimum of 150 figures of a type so this requires thought. He is not the only person I will be speaking too but just so everyone knows whats happening I will post a full report after Historicon. I will sort out all the requests and post them here before going to Historicon providing we have enough of an interest and information.
Please email me directly at so I can more easily post the list to the forum.
scotia123135@msn.com.
Regards Lindsay
conflans
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Figures

Post by conflans » Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:36 am

Lindsay,

The Osprey book on the Army of Louis XIV features a plate showing French cavalry, see plate C, one of which sports a buffcoat. I have read that Savoyard cavalry wore these buffcoats well into the League of Augsburg period and possibly into the Marlburian period. The same plate features a musketeer with shorter cuffed sleeves and a sleeved waistcoat. These figures are also needed. Figure 4b, page 42, in Grant's "From Pike to shot..." features a good, generic unarmored pikeman.

Prior to talking to the sculptors, you might also want to obtain the Osprey book on the Battle of the Boyne (release date July 10, 2005). It will feature some good plates depicting troops of the period. You can see a small sized sample on the Osprey site.

Also, if you go to the Researching & Dragona site, "laminas" section, they have some pictures of Milanese soldiers of the period. I believe that these figures could represent Spanish troops in any theater as well as other smaller countries.

For the Marlburian period, see Robert Hall's work on the Palatine army. Their unique infantry with swallows nest, cartidge box and belly box have not been reproduced.

Finally, cavalry with hanging sleeves as depicted in Mark Allen's article on the Dutch cavalry in Wargames Illustrated, no. 173, plate one, p. 16 would be most appreciated.

If you don't have access to any of this material, e-mail me off-list and I'll see if I can get copies to you.

Bob Miller
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:29 am

few suggestions from my side:

multi use types with open hands who might serve as artillerymen, sappers or pikemen.

Figures in more natural poses as opposed to some of the stiff and standard wargamey poses.

Campaign dress types looking a little scruffy with socks down at ankles, packs, pots etc hanging from belts.

A genuine range of personality figures(which I think would sell);

William III
King James
Louis XIV
Eugene
Cutts
Tyrconnel
Mackay
Sarsfield
Slagenburg
Luxembourg
Schomberg
Claverhouse

To name but a few!........................
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford