CLAYMORE 2005 - PANZER ACE PP Game (LoA)

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

CLAYMORE 2005 - PANZER ACE PP Game (LoA)

Post by barr7430 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:09 pm

I have decided to run a WW2 Public Participation game at Claymore 2005. I have already run this game: PANZER ACE(At SKELP 2004) where it went down very well indeed. There are some pictures of that game in the WARCHEST Miscellany section. Then, I ran it in 28mm. This time I'll do it in 15mm with FoW vehicles and intend to give away some as prizes to the highest scoring Ace of the day.

The game is an unashamed Shoot 'em up which takes between 20-30 minutes. The objective is to rack up as many points as possible competing against the other tanks in your platoon and become the top scoring commander. The Umpire plays ALL of the bad guys.

I have rewritten all of the rules from scratch and dropped all previously borrowed ideas for original material. Will make the rules available for a small fee at the show.

If you fancy brewing up a few Shermans/Cromwells or M3s come along and have a go! 8)
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
azeroth
Captain
Captain

Post by azeroth » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:02 am

You have done it again Barry, I had almost decided not to go to Claymore this year and then you dangle a carrot like that in front of me, play a agme and the chance to win some of your excellently painted stuff as well, what the heck count me in.

I am now painting flames of war stuff trying to get my desert rats ready to tackle Paul's afrika korps, it is a race to see who gets finished first, I have at least got my takns almost finished now but it's finding the time to do the infantry, actually it's more finding the inclination, any advice would be most welcome.

IanB
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:37 am

I look forward to seeing you there Ian!

Re: motivation to paint things that you are a bit reluctant to start...

my suggestion is get some games in on the period and that will really get you going! I have done wadges of the FoW stuff since January. What stimulated me to get going on it most was playing a few games.

Last night I tried a new method and managed to paint three Shermans from start to finish(including decals and weathering) in just over three hours. I am very pleased with them and I'd defy anyone to spot a huge differecne between these and the vehicles on which I spend three hours each :? I'll post a picture of them today if I can. :idea:

I think 10-15FoW infantry are possible in a 3 hour session.. just think that is almost half of an 8th Army motor rifle platoon. Three nights and you've done a platoon :shock: , just over a week and ALL of your infantry are done :shock: :shock: . A couple of weeks for the tanks, a week for the 25pdrs.. there... it's finished already 8) . Right Ian, onto the Sicilian campaign !!!!! :D

We'll have the Rats on the table before you can blink and Paul's Afrika Korps can have a rumble. I mentioend to Paul that I was going to buiuld some desert terrain because I've started the BIG RED ONE!

Henry Ford
azeroth
Captain
Captain

Post by azeroth » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:57 am

Barry,

Don't get me wrong it's not reluctance to paint the fow stuff in particular, it's painting in general I seem to have gone off. I guess soem decent music in the headphones so I can't hear the wife and my mother and i shall be set up (where did I put the thin lizzy cd?)

I have my grants and shermans almost there now, just need to decide what unit I am going to make them and put the decals on and then they are ready to go. infantry I can take my time over and as you say I can get a platoon done in a week or so even at my speed.

Sicilian campaign, bring it on then, this also gives me the incentive to finish the wargames room as well, it was put on aback burner to bring my mum up to Scotland and is currently full of junk but I need to clear it and get the table set up in its permanent place and then You and Paul are invited to the inaugural game, probably aim for August now give me time to get things all done correctly and the rewiring done for new power points in there as well as added time in case anything goes wrong in the meantime.

I am so in the mood to paint now, I shall do some infantry this evening even if i only manage to do a base of infantry it's a start after all. Watch this space for the rats return :D

IanB
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Selling off some vehicles

Post by barr7430 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:12 pm

I have surplus vehicles which have only been used for a couple of Panzer Ace demos.

I am selling these off and they can be seen in Gallery:Export & Sales: 15mm Flames of War vehicles(as used in Panzer Ace!)

Please contact me if you are interested.

Barry :D

Henry Ford
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:11 pm

barr7430 wrote: Last night I tried a new method and managed to paint three Shermans from start to finish(including decals and weathering) in just over three hours. I am very pleased with them and I'd defy anyone to spot a huge differecne between these and the vehicles on which I spend three hours each :? I'll post a picture of them today if I can. :idea:

I think 10-15FoW infantry are possible in a 3 hour session..
A little painting guide would be nice. My problem with 15mm is, that all techniques i know, do not motivate me, like it is with 28mm.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:31 pm

Decebalus,

please look at the most recent postings in the GALLERY/EXPORTS & SALES/15mm FLAMES OF WAR VEHICLES. All of the Allied tanks were painted using the method I mentioned. None took more than one hour to complete. I am giving a little painting 'clinic' tomorrow evening in the local shop(obviously a long way from Frankfurt am Main unless you take LH5643 from FRA to EDI and hire a car!!!). BUT, never fear, shortly I shall do one of my Quick n'dirty QND guides. I will also add a little guide into the newest version of Panzer Ace.

best regards

Barry

Henry Ford
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:31 am

barr7430 wrote: BUT, never fear, shortly I shall do one of my Quick n'dirty QND guides. I will also add a little guide into the newest version of Panzer Ace.
That would be wonderful. Thanks.

Frank
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Claymore

Post by j1mwallace » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:36 am

See you in Embra Barry.I have to bring the battling Nish brothers.Derek gets better and better.We recently played a game of WECW.
Derek had point blank fire with veteran salvo musketeers.22 figures hitting on anything except a 1 or a 2.
You guessed it.. 12 x 2's and 10x 1's. he should have gone gone to Vegas.
Trying to keep Tam out of the pub will be like trying to shove butter up a cats **** with a red hot needle.
Never mind at least theres's no Ronnie. It's his KKK annual reunion.(solo KKK that is)
Cheers

Jim W
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Claymore 2005

Post by barr7430 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:48 pm

Delighted that PANZER ACE! won the best Participation game of show at Claymore :D . We had a full house for all of the four games and a wait list which I apologise for not getting to :oops:

A chap called David was Panzer Ace of the day with a score of 265 8) and Paul McLauchlin managed to score an embarrassingly high 255 by chasing infantry and trucks round the board :shock:(really Paul you should be ashamed) Derek Nish continued his excellent dice rolling run with the lowest score of the day and Mike Anderson my Umpire partner in crime from the LoGW managed to be the unluckiest Panzer Fuhrer having his tracks blown off, being hit by an artillery barrage and straffed by a rocket firing Typhoon all in the space of 15 minutes :shock: :shock: The only player more unlucky was young Jack who's Tiger was straffed TWICE in the same game :shock:

Apologies to Jim Wallace as every time he passed the table I was deep in the thick of umpiring and we didn't get a chance to speak :oops:

Photo report on Claymore tonite or tomorrow. Some lovely games... Dundee Skirmishers - Eastern Front, Iron Brigade - Nam, Rob Broom & Co with a very large WAB set up, Glasgow & District with a mist filled, music accompanied renaissance effort, Kirrie Club - Napoleonic and Angus Club - Air War over Europe to name but a few!

Great to see the usual gang and some unexpected faces too....

Julian of Chiltern, Ade of Battle Honours, DT, Shaun of the Bunker,Duncan Mac, Pat Conner, Redcar Rebs(-1), Paul and Ian,The Dumfries gang and more.

Cheers

Barry

Henry Ford
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

CLAYMORE

Post by j1mwallace » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:20 pm

Well done Barry.
That looked an excellent game. I bet your heids birling trying to keep all those guys in check. I will say that you really seemed to be enjoying the game. thats what we're in the hobby for after all.
Congratulations on winning the best participation game.Congratulations to Derek For keeping up the Nish crapness award.
cheers

Jim :D