Sunday's ULB game

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
pappenheimuk
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Sunday's ULB game

Post by pappenheimuk » Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:07 pm

This is a description of the game we played at our club today:-

Forces engaged:-

French:
2 brigades each of 6 sqdns drilled horse

1 bde 4 irish foot (elite)
1 bde 4 Swiss foot (guard)
1 bde 4 Bavarian foot (drilled)
1 bde 6 French foot (drilled)

4 light guns

Allied

1 bde of 3 grenadiers (elite)
1 bde 4 Danish foot (drilled 16 figs storng (I gave the Danes the same fire advantage as the Dutch/British).
1 bde 6 Dutch foot (drilled)
2 bdes 3 Austrian foot (drilled)
1 bde of 4 sqdns dutch horse
1 bde of 6 sqdns Austrian cuirrassiers.

4 light guns.

rolled for commanders

French got a plodder and guess what, the allies got an inspirational leader.

I kept the scenery simple with just a couple of hills scattered about the field.

French set up

from left to right
1 bde French horse with 4 sqdns in front and 2 in reserve
Bavarian bde
Irish bde
French bde
Swiss set up next on long gentle hill slope
1 bde horse with 4 sqdns in front and two in reserve
two light guns wer set up on the hill beside the Swiss, the other two were placed along the rest of the line.

Allied set up

from left to right (allied)

Austrian cuirrassiers in two lines 3 sqdns each
1 Austrian bde with 3 battalion in line with another bde in rear support.
Dutch bde in two lines
Danes in one line with grenadier bde in rear support
4 sqdns Dutch horse in one line
guns were scattered along the line.

With the French having such a poor commander they decided quickly to sit on the defensive and force the Allies to come to them.
We found the command system worked well, and I thought it was quite historical as the French quite often fought on the defence.

Back to the game.
Both cavalry wings clashed before the foot got withing striking distance and melees were taking place all the time on the wings as squadrons charged and counter charged.
When the foot actually started coming to blows the Danes had advanced to engage the Swiss on the hill, the French cavalry had seen off the Allied horse on both wings, although in doing this they had sustained massive losses, and had effectively shot their bolt.

The Swiss, reinforced by some French battalions, were gradually disrupting the Danish advance, and with the Dutch still a wee way back,
and the time coming close to finishing I decided to concede.

We both agreed that it was a really good, fun game, and the forces engaged were quite large for the time we had to play the game in(1 till 5 Sunday)and although we later discovered a couple of things that we were doing wrong, I think we got the gist of the rules ok.

Another game organised for a fortnight.

Sorry if this rambles a bit as it is the first game description that I have written about.

Cheers
David
"Anything but a one and you'l be OK!!!"
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:04 pm

Great stuff David !

Sounds like a great game. Any colours captured? The beginning of an potential antipathy between units?

You did pretty well with the number of forces involved to get such a lot done!

All the best

Barry :D
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
pappenheimuk
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by pappenheimuk » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:43 pm

I forgot to play the capturing rule, but I think most of the cavalry on the Allied side would have loste theirs along with a good chunk of the French cavalry.
I would think the Danes were quite disgruntled with their handling by the Swiss so some retribution may appear in later games.

:wink:
David
"Anything but a one and you'l be OK!!!"
PaulMc
Colonel
Colonel

Capture rule

Post by PaulMc » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:34 pm

Hi pappenheimuk,

You really should try the capture rule, it makes for great fun! Sounds like you had a very enjoyable game anyway, I'll look forward to reading your next battle report, should you decide to do one.

Paul
"We shall attack across the minefield, under cover of daylight!"
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

ULB Games

Post by j1mwallace » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:22 pm

Hello Barry.
We,ve now got our first 3 ULB games under our belt in not so sunny Dumfries and I have to say that the lads are thoroughly enjoying them.Nice and fast,get wired in there!!.We,ve played some fairly big games too. last one had 17 French Battallions Vs 14 allied.& 32 Squadrons of French Cavalry Vs 26 Allied. The Allies have had a fairly rough handling so far and narrowly escaped a total collapse when Mr Nish' flank gave way and the magnificently handled French Cavalry with infantry support got behind the allied line. Luckily Tam saved the day when he bought an unexpected round and we were too stunned to follow up properly. You can tell when Derek is under pressure though as he starts to waffle. (that'll be all the time then!!)
Cheers Barry, we,ve another game of equal size organised for Tuesday on a 14' x 6' table.Best of luck
Jim
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:39 pm

Great to hear that things in Dumfries are just as I remember Jim!!!

Tam´s cunning masterstroke of a pint just at the right minute would be enough to finish off even the most Veteran troops!

Is Marshal Nish still chewing on the end of his pipe and talking about the Dream Team???

All the best to you and the lads. I always feel Scotland´s Borders are secure with your Clan watching over them!!!!

Cheers

Barry :D
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford