King and Country

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

King and Country

Post by j1mwallace » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:08 pm

As if it's not bad enough with the "wee" figures for the last 10 years or so and my first trip to the USA I've been collecting King and country figures.
Last month when Ron and I were on our Texas trip we went to Kings X in the Menger hotel and bought some (OK we cleared the US national debt and ended the recession)and bought some new figures.
There is a point here and its coming now.
Have you seen the price of the same figures over here. What a rip.
The vendors over here seem to the have adopted the £1 = $1 exchange rate.
Sometimes even worse!
it's not even as if the figures are manufactured and sold here. The founder is a Scotsman and the figures are made and painted in the Far East.
Nice figures, but....
any of you other guys collect and your thoughts.
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:51 pm

I'd have to agree with you. I know that King & Country does everything out of China. They are the 600lbs gorilla in the room when it comes to these type of figures and it's hard to get around them.
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:27 pm

Kings X is a great soldier shop if you are visiting San Antonio. They have a magnificent Delhi Durbar / India display and one of the widest ranges of toy soldiers I have seen anywhere.
Unfortunately when I was visiting San Antonio this summer I made it to the shop just 15 minutes after it closed. Probably saved me a small fortune however.
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
Ronan the Librarian
Captain
Captain

Post by Ronan the Librarian » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:14 am

Re. price - don't forget that UK retailers have to pay customs/import duty and add VAT, and generally have higher overheads than US businesses. The £1=$1 thing tends to be the norm for all UK outlets selling US products, I'm afraid.
Ssshhhhh!!!!!