so disappointing!

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

so disappointing!

Post by barr7430 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:57 am

recently received some of the new Foundry Napoleonics.. Russian Horse artillery in greatcoats.
What a disappointment. Paying top dollar for extremely poor quality sculpting.. this recent stuff has such a retro feel about it and not in the nostalgic, I wish it was the 60s again sense.. more in the oops what the **** is this meant to be sense..

How long they will be able to survive/compete with their current cost base against superior design work by almost eveyone else in the market is the question. Depends how many people continue to fill - in current collections from pre 2008 ranges....
Living in the past :roll:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Anonymous

Re: so disappointing!

Post by Anonymous » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:21 pm

barr7430 wrote:recently received some of the new Foundry Napoleonics.. Russian Horse artillery in greatcoats.
What a disappointment. ........:roll:
Hm, I don't know how they look like or even remember to have seen them on the Foundry website. Are those only Artillerymen on foot or riders too?
If on foot only maybe 'we' can do something for you? He has his own growing 1812 Russian Napoleonic range. As far as I can tell his figures are comparable in size with Perry but not as stout as Front Rank (only matching them in eye hight).
I cant promise anything but it wont hurt if I ask him.

Hope that helps... but I suspect it does'nt(Borodino weekend?)

Best regards

Günter
Juan Mancheño
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Juan Mancheño » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:57 pm

Foundry is lossing its place in the market. They have a too high cost for a very bad quality in their new models. I love the old ones, particularly those from Copplestone´s Old West and the North West Frontier and Napoleonic ranges from the Perrys but I can not afford to buy them with such high p&p and blister cost. I like a lot their colours range but I need to wait until SALUTE to buy them. Their is not the best way to make bussines, I think.
Greystreak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Greystreak » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:38 pm

I completely agree, Barry. I took one look at them and knew they would never share a tabletop with my Perry-sculpted Russians. :x
Bryce
kiwipeterh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by kiwipeterh » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:11 pm

A shame really if what you gentlemen are saying is true ... and I have no reason to doubt it! :D

Especially so as the idea of providing the option of having the horse artillery available in greatcoats is a praiseworthy one.

Salute
von Peter himself
Visit the blog of von Peter himself at http://vonpeterhimself.wordpress.com/
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:40 pm

I really do not know what Foundry has been thinking. Their figures were pricey but good a decade ago. Now, when the choice is $24.50 for six Foundry vs $16 for six Perry, $37 for 30 Old Glory, or $5 for 4 Sash and Saber, I know whom I'm not going to choose!
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:40 am

That's why I've called them FLOUNDRY for quite a while now. I have some of their WSS figures and I just can't stand them. I don't even want to take the time to paint them. They are just that bad - IMHO of course.
Churchill
General
General

Wargames Foundry

Post by Churchill » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:40 am

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
kiwipeterh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by kiwipeterh » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:02 pm

Howdies Ray

Is it Patrick or Peter you emailed over at Calpe Miniatures. Certainly Peter Fitzgerald is the owner / designer / sculpter / mold maker / caster / order taker / order picker and packer and mailer / information desk operator at Calpe Miniatures. Then again one of his sons may be called Patrick.

Perhaps if you keep calling Peter Patrick then another months delay gets added to the Prussian Kuirassiers each time! :lol:

Salute
von Peter himself
Visit the blog of von Peter himself at http://vonpeterhimself.wordpress.com/
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:31 am

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Hayes
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Adam Hayes » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:42 am

18th Century Guy wrote:That's why I've called them FLOUNDRY for quite a while now. I have some of their WSS figures and I just can't stand them. I don't even want to take the time to paint them. They are just that bad - IMHO of course.
No, you are wrong. The WSS figures are excellent. Maybe you are confusing them with the newer SYW offerings which are nowhere near as good?
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:36 pm

Adam,

As I stated, it was in my opinion that Floundry's WSS figures are bad. When I compare them to the Front Rank WSS figures I have the Floundry figures cannot hold a candle to them. But again, this is all my opinion. I've only seen the online pictures of their newer SYW figures and they inspire me less than the WSS figures do.

Given the prices of Floundry figures I sure I won't be purchasing any additional figures from them be it WSS or SYW.