Going to Scotland

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
14th Brooklyn
Colonel
Colonel

Going to Scotland

Post by 14th Brooklyn » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:42 am

I know this is a bit OT, but knowing that many forum members here come from Scotland, this seemed like a good place to ask.

My girlfriend and I are planning a trip to Scotland this year. It will either be in mid-May or (a little more likely) late June (... I know this does not coincide with a R2E Weekender :( ). We are planning to go for roughly two weeks and will most likely be taking my car over by either ferry or tunnel. We are planning for a mix of sightseeing and hiking.

Now in our search so far, we have received information overkill. So we are at a loss if this is actually a good time to go (not weather wise, but hotel / B&B prices wise).
Does it make more sense to take a different accommodation each night or are there regions where it is better to take something for a couple of days and go into every direction from there?
What kinds of must sees are there? Anything one should avoid that is hyped up on the internet / in the travel guides?

Any info / advice that you might have is welcome!

THX,

Burkhard
Anonymous

Re: Going to Scotland

Post by Anonymous » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:16 am

14th Brooklyn wrote:........
What kinds of must sees are there?
Barry Hilton, Jim O'Neil, Dave O'Brian....to name a few :lol: :lol:
Cameronian
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Cameronian » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:47 pm

Any reply is going to be highly subjective. Also difficult depending whether you're after huntin', shootin' and fishin', culture, history, hill-walking, mountaineering, wildlife watching, outdoor sports, etc. How you travel can make a difference too, remember fuel is expensive in UK and gets dearer as you go north.

Cost wise, earlier is cheaper, avoid all the usual 'high season' times like easter and school holiday periods.

Earlier also means missing the worst of the midges over in the west. :lol:

BBC Radio Scotland is doing something about people's opinions as to the best bits of Scotland, a trawl through their website may be of interest.
Cameronian
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Cameronian » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:51 pm

A thought just struck me, if you are young and don't mind less than 5-star, then this may be of interest:

http://www.yha.org.uk/inspire-me/scotland/index.aspx
kutusov
Captain
Captain

Post by kutusov » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:24 pm

another Scot
14th Brooklyn
Colonel
Colonel

Post by 14th Brooklyn » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:25 pm

Cameronian wrote:Any reply is going to be highly subjective.
I know but it can not be any worse, then the point we are at right now. And after all... at least I know how my fellow wargamers tick! :wink:
Also difficult depending whether you're after huntin', shootin' and fishin', mountaineering,
All of these are a "no"
culture, history, hill-walking, wildlife watching, outdoor sports, etc.

All of these are a "yes"... well maybe with the exception of outdoor sports. We are both divers, but my better half lacks the drysuit I have and I would not want to have her sitting a around a whole day or two while I am off diving. So outdoor sports is probably a "no", too.
How you travel can make a difference too, remember fuel is expensive in UK and gets dearer as you go north.
I know, but I think there is no real alternative to a car. Flying over and renting a car for two weeks should be more expensive. And at least I have a Diesel with a good milage to the gallon.
Cost wise, earlier is cheaper, avoid all the usual 'high season' times like easter and school holiday periods. Earlier also means missing the worst of the midges over in the west. :lol:
S that would rahter mean the May window?
BBC Radio Scotland is doing something about people's opinions as to the best bits of Scotland, a trawl through their website may be of interest.
Will do!

THX for the answers so far!

Burkhard
Cameronian
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Cameronian » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:18 am

Aye laddie, wan o' Jock Tamson's bairns.

May can be a good month in Scotland but the weather is never really predictable, suffice to say, drier in the east, wetter in the west. Always expect bad weather in the north west. The place is forty shades of green, covered in mountains, forests, lochs and rivers and nothing much between it and the North Atlantic.

Scotland is a small place so lots of stuff is pretty near other stuff. Stirling is well placed, plenty of historical odds and ends and not far from some of the best scenic bits like the Trossachs, Loch Lomond, etc. Ben Lomond is a relatively easy hike, a 4000 footer but really just a long walk. Have a look at:

http://www.scottishhills.com/html/index.php

Culture is Edinburgh and Glasgow, museums, galleries, concert halls and all that. Don't drive into Edinburgh, get a bus or train into the city. Waverly is the central station and is smack dab in the city centre at the foot of the castle rock. The two cities are entirely different in character, all the glitzy shopping is in Glasgow.

Wildlife is seasonal (no, get away!), the seabirds will be arriving to nest on cliffs around May, seeing that can be pretty spectacular. Dolphin watching in the Moray Firth and whale watching off the west coast - check on internet for these. May is a bit too early for basking sharks, more high summer for them. Rothiemurchus forest is good and the ospreys should be kicking around at Loch Garten and Loch of Lowes. Google the names, get loads of info'. Have a look at:

http://www.scotsac.com/

Could go on and on but won't. My opinion, remember it is only that; is if short of time, then Stirling base for first half of trip and Isle of Skye (pray for good weather) for second half. The drive up from Stirling to Skye can take in loads of things if planned carefully. Pack the wellies and waterproofs. Good luck!

George
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:58 am

If you are looking for a wargames event or two then have a look at the Newark Irregulars site, http://www.newarkirregulars.org.uk/
check the wargame calendar on the lefthand bar.
If you're coming in early May then the Falkirk club have their annual show on the 7th which is going from strength to strength but if you're coming later in May then try and attend Partizan down in Newark on 29th May. This is a fantastic show and well worth trying to attend, Barry myself and a few other guys on this forum will be there putting on a dsiplay or two.
Cheers
Dave
Atheling
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Atheling » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:50 am

obriendavid wrote:If you are looking for a wargames event or two then have a look at the Newark Irregulars site, http://www.newarkirregulars.org.uk/
check the wargame calendar on the lefthand bar.
If you're coming in early May then the Falkirk club have their annual show on the 7th which is going from strength to strength but if you're coming later in May then try and attend Partizan down in Newark on 29th May. This is a fantastic show and well worth trying to attend, Barry myself and a few other guys on this forum will be there putting on a dsiplay or two.
Cheers
Dave
Hi Burkhard,

Dave is certainly correct about the Falkirk show, Carronade. It's a great show, not too big- nor too small.

Well worth it if you can make the date.

Darrell.
Just Add Water High Quality Painting Service:
http://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/
Gawalthaufen Blog (Late 15C Warfare):
http://gewalthaufen.blogspot.co.uk/
La Journee Blog (Early 15thC Warfare):
http://lajourney-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/
flags_of_war
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by flags_of_war » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:08 am

Stirling and Edinburgh are as must for the Castles. Do you have any real area of interest in Scottish history?
dab
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by dab » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:03 pm

The weather in scotland is a hit or miss. school are off first week of july?
walk there is loads in the central belt.
there is the big wheel, :roll: roman wall and there is the canal walks.
which is a good way of seeing the country side
there is loads of old railway which have been pathed.
you could walk hills for two weeks and still not have done them all.
if you are fit you could do the Tillicoultry to dollar railway track then up dollar glen to the castle, then walk to ben Cleuch(OCHIL HILLS). and back down through Tillicoultry glen.
There is fife Falkland Palace, and then do west and east lomond hills and to top it off, fish and chips at Anstruther mmmmmmmm
St andrews castle ("Doll house" look it up on the net) and the sport the play with a wee ball plus somebody went to the university, plus the coast with all it wee village and harbours is very nice there is loads more out that way
My ex love walking most of scotland :cry: ,and my job show me the rest :roll:
Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh is a must, if you like flowers
i could go on for hour :twisted:
what of the long list to paint next ?
David
14th Brooklyn
Colonel
Colonel

Post by 14th Brooklyn » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:37 am

THX for all the answers so far guys... keep them coming!

Burkhard