Paper Flags (UK)

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
Frantic
Private
Private

Paper Flags (UK)

Post by Frantic » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:18 am

I have decided to use some of the Warflag designs for my figs, I have read the guide on the site but it refers to a paper I can not seem to find here in the UK, what paper have people in the UK used to print their flags?
yar68
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: Paper Flags (UK)

Post by yar68 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:12 pm

I just use a good quality paper, around £8-£10 per ream, that works fine.
Ray

Yay...I say yay..............Yay!

http://onelover-ray.blogspot.com/
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:53 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:35 pm

Resume paper that is 25% cotton. Relatively cheap and the cloth fibres give it nice look.
Rohan Wilmott
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by Rohan Wilmott » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:46 pm

Gidday, Frantic.

I can also strongly recommend the flags done by Stuart Wilson at Maverick Models
[http://www.maverick-models.com/index.htm]

He has ranges covering many periods (His WSS/GNW/9YW ranges are excellent and expanding with a little help :wink: ), can print on paper or silk, and can make the flags any size you desire - just drop him an email. Note the sizes he quotes are not modelling scale, but the measurement of the flag edge on the staff.

He is also very helpful in doing up special orders if you provide the references - he has done the Bavarian Liebgarde Grenadiers zu Pferde, Ansbach Bayreuth IR Heidebrecht & a number of WSS French flags for me. His service is timely and prices reasonable, especially if you are as ham-fisted as I am with flag painting!

Cheers, Rohan
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:24 pm

I've used both Maverick Models and The Flag Dude. I ordered their 'cloth/material' flags and I found them to be excellent. The major difference between the two is that with Maverick you will have to cut and glue your own flag while with the The Flag Dude you get a complete product - flag, pole, finial, cravat if required.

However, you will pay for all that extra service from The Flag Dude so it depends on what you prefer. I can highly recommend either one. If you go to my blog you'll see pictures of flags from both companies.
Greg
Greystreak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Greystreak » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:34 pm

http://www.gmbdesigns.com/ - Accept no substitutes for quality. :D
Bryce
kiwipeterh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by kiwipeterh » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:56 am

Greystreak wrote:http://www.gmbdesigns.com/ - Accept no substitutes for quality. :D
Hear hear! :lol:

Salute
von Peter himself
Visit the blog of von Peter himself at http://vonpeterhimself.wordpress.com/
BP
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by BP » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:08 am

I've tried to buy GMB flags several times in the past. And time its been a classic case of poor service/response. I don't bother now, just get all my flags from Flagdude. Always a quick response and good quality stuff, regardless of the time difference.

Bill
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:08 pm

BP wrote:I've tried to buy GMB flags several times in the past. And time its been a classic case of poor service/response. I don't bother now, just get all my flags from Flagdude. Always a quick response and good quality stuff, regardless of the time difference.

Bill
Hi Bill,

In defence of Grahame I have to say that he sometimes has to do "family first". So it takes a bit of time until he unswers mails.

In case of Rick, the Flagdude, I agree with You that he makes almost any flag you want and if he dont know the requested flag and you have sources to share he makes it possible. I am very satisfied with all the Napoleonic Saxon Flags he did for me and also the Russians are looking very pretty. I think you know now that all my flags will come from Flagdude in the future :wink:

Best Wishes

Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Greystreak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Greystreak » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:04 am

BP wrote:I've tried to buy GMB flags several times in the past. And time its been a classic case of poor service/response. I don't bother now . . . Bill
I'm sorry you had bad experience or two, Bill. I do think you're being a bit harsh on GMB, however. Grahame went through one difficult patch--moving home, changing job, and a new child--but he made a big investment in a working, online website that now makes it easier than ever to order from him, with a variety of payment options--instead of the old e-mail only route. Rick (The FlagDude) is a top bloke, from a customer service perspective, but the print quality of his product is simply nowhere close to GMB. When I finally received my custom flag order from Rick, they went straight into the bin, as the printing was so 'pixillated' as to look like a 'Pac-Man' video screen. :(
Bryce
flags_of_war
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by flags_of_war » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:35 pm

Christ i hope i never get to the stage folk - about me and my flags haha.
Juan Mancheño
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Juan Mancheño » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:17 am

I have just received my "Flag of War" order, and their are very, very good flags; I´m very happy with them. I have also a pair of flags from "Reiver Casting", and they are not of the same size (all of them are for 28mm models). I would like to know the correct size of flags for these models.

Cheers,

Juan
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:48 am

GMB for me.

True, some upheavals previously, but back on an even keel again.
With a few exceptions, my entire Crimean Collection was draped in GMB, albeit Napoleonic variations, but did the trick.

Besides - a very pleasant gentleman to do business with.

thinredline
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."