Flag Info

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
PaulMc
Colonel
Colonel

Flag Info

Post by PaulMc » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:26 pm

Hi there Barry,

I love this site, it's been a real inspiration for me. I've loved looking at the photos of all of the figures, especially those from the 'League of Augsburg' period. Those uniforms and flags always remind me why I became a wargamer in the first place.

I now have a problem, I MUST get into this period! I'd like to cover from about 1685 until the end of the War of Spanish Succession (I realise that's fairly wide but there are so many interesting battles in this time frame). I don't imagine I'll have a problem with uniform information or history, flags, however are another matter.

I want to be sure that when I start collecting forces, I am able to portray them as accurately as possible. I hate starting on an army based on a specific O.O.B. and having just about all the information I need, save for one or two flags from a brigade here or there. (I don't suppose I'm different from anyone else posting here in that respect, or maybe I'm a bit weird that way, who knows)

So, if you (or anyone else for that matter) could possibly recommend websites, books or CD's on the subject of flags I would be eternally grateful. And I will buy you a pint at the next Wargames show I see you at. :D
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Flags & other info

Post by barr7430 » Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:28 am

Hello Paul,

thanks for the kind words which are always good to hear. Let me see if I can help on the flags issue:

Mark Allen's articles on the Wars of the Grand Alliance & Spanish Succession were very well illustrated particularly the flags. There are over 15 parts to the series, running from around issue 48(I can't remember exactly) of Wargames Illustrated well into the 100 numbers. You don't need to go scrounging around Bring & Buys to get second hand copies if you don't have them. Just get Duncan's CD Versions which have 25? issues per disc.I'm sure they are only about a tenner each. He does 'em mail order and at shows.

Another inexpensive source are the Alan Sapherson guides to the different armies of the period. These are published by Raider Books and still availble thro' Partizan Press(see their site). I have listed several titles in a reply to a question somewhere else on this forum. They cover the Danes,Swedes,Dutch,Imperialists, Williamite and Jacobite English Irish and Scots, Spanish, French Cavalry and some of the smaller states. Not lavishly illustrated but clear enough to give a very good selection. Sapherson did not write all of the titles but they stock the lot I think.

Of course all sources can be challenged. Mark Allen has revised his own work on occasions or had it critiqued by others who claim to have better sources. I know from personal contact that some guys in the Netherlands have identified inaccuracies in Sapherson's work re: The Dutch. Mats Elzinga(a mate of David Imrie) and Rene(my Dutch Language teacher) may be able to offer some additional info as I think both visit this site/forum.

There are Osprey books for this period but these are not particularly strong on the flags unfortunately. If you are doing a home grown army and find it difficult to precisely identify colours there are some good fall back positions for almost every unit:

Colonel'S COLOUR : Plain white or with a central personal device
Lt Colonels & Company COLOURS : National flag(Of StAndrew or St George with various numerls or devices to signify the company number.

If you decide on a particular army and get stuck for info I'm not a million miles away from Blantyre(EK actually), so I could perhaps get you what you want. Then you can get me my pint.

Best

Barry :wink:
PaulMc
Colonel
Colonel

Many thanks

Post by PaulMc » Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:15 pm

Thank you very much for your help Barry! It is very much appreciated. I had no idea you lived so nearby either. (small world :D )

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:53 am

Hello All;

In additon to all of the sources previously listed, I would suggest going to Dan Schorr's Great Northern War site. He has a lot of information on the Danish army of the period and he sells a series of CDs covering various armies of the period. All are written by Robert Hall, Giancarlo Boeri or August Kuhn and are well worth the expense. Peter Berry sells them in the UK. I hope you find this useful.

Best regards,

Bob Miller
PaulMc
Colonel
Colonel

Many thanks!

Post by PaulMc » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:54 am

Hi Bob,

Thanks very much for all the info & the message. It is truly appreciated.
Anonymous

Flags

Post by Anonymous » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:31 pm

Hello Guys,
Dont' think anyone has mentioned the Warflag website. Always worth a look with downloadable flags that can then be sized etc. All for no cost !

www.warflag.com

John