First blog ever!

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
Sheepman
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

First blog ever!

Post by Sheepman » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:30 pm

Yeh my first go at a blog. For a Luddite like me it's a step into the unknown so if you have a look please be gentle :)
Some of the pictures you may have seen on here, but if I keep plugging away at it new ones will appear.
If you do then thanks for looking.
http://thenorthumbrianwargamer.blogspot ... gr#close=1
Cheers, Dave.
'I always wear me wellies'.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: First blog ever!

Post by barr7430 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:42 pm

posted a comment but I don;t know if it registered!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:58 am

Set to follow!

You've done some nice work on the wee lads!
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.
Sheepman
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Sheepman » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:57 pm

Sorry Barry, don't know why it didn't work, there have been comments put on there by others. Please give it another go if you get the time, as I said, a computer expert I'm not :?
Dave.
yar68
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by yar68 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:40 pm

A nice setup, the blog looks great! 8) 8) 8)

Ray
Ray

Yay...I say yay..............Yay!

http://onelover-ray.blogspot.com/
flags_of_war
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by flags_of_war » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:32 pm

Followed you mate :D
Sheepman
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Sheepman » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:29 pm

A few more pictures added to the blog, http://thenorthumbrianwargamer.blogspot.com/most recently French revolutionary French and Austrians. Here's a couple of tasters:
Hope you enjoy.
Dave
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:41 am

Dave,

Would I be right in saying that those are Eureka Miniatures and if so, when did you win the Lottery? I love these miniatures and have about a dozen or so that I use as skirmishers but; they are just a wee bit too expensive when you look at the exchange rate between Sterling and the Aussie Dollar, which is a pity as they are some of the best animated sculpts around. You have certainly done them justice.

Regards,

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
Sheepman
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Sheepman » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:21 am

Jim,
No, oddly enough the top picture of the French are Old Glory (really from the 1805 Bicorne range as the coat tails are truthfully too short) and the bottom picture of the Austrians are from Elite, a cracking range of figures. They are slightly bigger, maybe heading towards 30mm but really nice. They add the odd type every eight months or so, so it's not a stagnant range and is slowly expanding.
I agree wholeheartedly with your comments on Eureka, I too love the sculpts but the cost is too prohibitive for me. I read the explanation from DTP and understand his comments but could someone explain why (and I'm not in anyway a businessman) the lads down there cannot sub-contract the casting in this country and thereby sell them at a more affordable price, maybe I'm being a bit thick (which is a distinct possibility!) but it's such a great range and it seems a shame that many people cannot afford them. The increase in sales would maybe cover the extra cost of sub-contracting?
If DTP reads this then he will hopefully put me right.
Thanks again for your kind comments Jim.
Dave.
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:02 pm

Dave,

Awesome blog and work on your French Rev War painting. I've got a boat load of Elite Minis from Peter's range and he's now calling them 30mm so you're right they are a bit larger. I can't wait to get enough units together to have a game using Barry's R2E.

I too love the Eureka figures in their WFR line and I too understand the exchange rate issues but I'd not thought of the idea of having them cast in another location. It would be interesting to see if that could help as I'd love to pick up more from Eureka. Keep up the good blogging, it is an inspiration that keeps me going on my French Rev figures.
Greg
Gary
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Gary » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:26 pm

Congrats Dave from Morpeth!

I started to offload my Luddite status with my own blog on 13th October, but you have come a lot further than me with what you have so far achieved.

If anyone fancies a look:

http://geez-spot.blogspot.com

Just a few random ramblings and stuff at the moment, but the near future will see my 30 Years' War, Swiss-Burgundian stuff and other main collections beginning to feature. I will learn more on how to do this and update it as I go.

Gary
Sheepman
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Sheepman » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:33 pm

You are joking Gary, the blogs great. I love your pirates the painting standard is tip top, you should post a few pictures on this site and let everyone see.
18th C Guy thanks for the comments, do keep going at your Rev stuff, it's so worth it. Great fun when you get going with all the uncertainties of the different troop types in the period.
Dave
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:05 am

CoffinDodger wrote:Dave,
Would I be right in saying that those are Eureka Miniatures and if so, when did you win the Lottery? Jim
Jim, the Austians are Elite figures, you can always tell from the strange head pose of everyone looking up into the sky, even when they are shooting. I've never understood this strange position they seem to put their figures in as they can obviously sculpt really well as they have lovely figures but it has always been the head postioning that has always put me off buying any.
Cheers
Dave
Juan Mancheño
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Juan Mancheño » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:30 pm

Hello.
You have a very interesting Blog, Dave and your painted models are great. Some time ago I bought some models from Eureka Miniatures, from the Italian Campaing series, and they are wonderful models but the cost is... I have no word for it when I saw the P & P cost.

I am thinking about to write something about this in my own Blog (yes, I have also a Blog since September!!!)...

Congratulations for your Blog, it is very good.

Juan
Sheepman
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Sheepman » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:53 pm

Dave,
the Elite Austrians are obviously looking to the heavens for deliverance from the Republicans :P
Juan, put a link in I'll have a look,
Cheers Dave.