TARGE 2011 Saturday 12th November, Kirriemuir

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
Dale
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

TARGE 2011 Saturday 12th November, Kirriemuir

Post by Dale » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:16 pm

TARGE 2011 is on Saturday 12th November in Websters High School, Kirriemuir.

This is the 25th annual show run by the Kirriemuir Wargames Club, the seventh as TARGE and the third in our new venue. The show has expanded this year with an additional hall and the dedicated, adjacent Bring and Buy room next door.

The free figure for the first 200 through the door is on the TARGE homepage http://www.kirriemuirwargames.co.uk It is a Scots Guard, I believe, and has been conceived, designed, sculpted, cast, painted and based by our treasurer Steve Shaw. Get there early!

Incidentally, our new look website has been designed by one of our younger members, Ross Paterson, a student at Abertay University. A links page, gallery and announcements section have still to be added.

Traders and Clubs Attending are as appear on the relevant TARGE pages, with the additions of an Urban Mammoth game and a BLB game by a group calling themselves the League of Augsburg – never heard of them!

Once again we have a substantial group of excellent prizes for the painting and modelling competitions. Bring your entries for the competitions along on the day.

For anyone requiring Bring and Buy sheet numbers, please contact the secretary Steve Rimmer a.s.a.p. We already have several hundred lots for the B and B and it will save time to number in advance.

Everyone involved is looking forward to welcoming you to TARGE 2011. See you there.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: TARGE 2011 Saturday 12th November, Kirriemuir

Post by barr7430 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:24 pm

WARFARE MINIATURES will be available from Dave Thomas including the new codes

WLOA10 Dismounted Dragoons
WLOA11 Grenadiers storming the breach
WLOA14 Casualties
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:29 pm

Good show as always yesterday. Lots of really nice games. 15+ tables I think. Good fun to judge with your mates actually. Working with David and Dave and two other nice chaps Archie and Joe, made the whole thing easy and constructive. Lots of the painting prizes were won by youngsters which was very good to see, particularly because it was not obvious from their work that they were young! (Yes we of course are getting older but most of these lads were 16-18 which IS young!).
The Kirrie show is a most excellent enigma. All the odds say it should not be successful: location, time of year, conflicting shows but, it remains a fantastic success. Well organized, attended, supported by traders, revenue generating, bright venue, happy gamers etc. Well done to Dale and the Kirrie Club. Great effort and a definite shining star on the calendar.
Well done to the Iron Brigade for their winning game (using the increasingly popular VWQ rules... I wish I knew who wrote those.. clearly some rules lawyer buried somewhere in a basesment :roll: ) and to the family team Independent Wargamers who looked truly delighted with their 2 trophies. Leuchars did a fantastic job once more with their Great Escape. Only really a couple of games which didn't in my opinion make the cut largely due to the generally non communicative behaviour of the table hosts as opposed to the toys or terrain. This was commented on by all the judges. Don't know if anyone took any pics yesterday?

Anyway, the fame of Bon Scott's birthplace has spread as far as rural Lincolnshire now! I heard a rumour that a Military Two Step, toe pointing explorer from Sleaford made it into the Arctic Circle or Angus(to give it it's other name) and hosted a table at the show cunningly disguised as a wargamer. He's gone south to spread tales of quirky local rituals, Scotch pies, Mars bars for breakfast and willow stripping! What a bash :wink:
What will those sophisticated urbanites south of the border think of us?

Henry Ford
toggy
Major General
Major General

Post by toggy » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:24 pm

Yes a great show,fantastic support given its location (the most northerly wargames show on the planet?), and lots of genuine, nice people that were really interested in the show, and the game that Paul Mc and myself were looking after.

Now about that other stuff Mr. Hilton, there's no need to mention Gay Gordon, Orkadian stripping the willow and do not ask about the Swedish Masquarade( with your pinkie on show)!!!

Bob
We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction. Macarthur, Douglas
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:47 pm

toggy wrote: Now about that other stuff Mr. Hilton, there's no need to mention Gay Gordon, Orkadian stripping the willow and do not ask about the Swedish Masquarade( with your pinkie on show)!!!
Bob
Rumours of Pinky Bob, performing a Highland Schottishe on Gay Gordon who was a Dashing White Sargent disguised as a Swedish Mascarade on the Flying Scotsman are all true!!!! :lol: Unfortunately I don't have the photo/video footage but hopefully next time and with a kilt :lol:

Have to agree with Barry that the Kirrie boys did a great job of organising the show and the expanded space made a great difference to the show which I think is going from strength to strength plus you get one of Steve Shaw's great figures just for turning up. Due to high standard of painting the judging was very difficult and positions were often only seperated by one or two points and it was impressive to see the high standard of painting by the youngsters.
Cheers
Dave
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:41 pm

My mate Bill (Black Powder) Gilchrist have posted a report of the show with some pics on his blog for those that couldn't get there.
http://blenheimtoberlin.blogspot.com/
Cheers
Dave
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:14 am

Just re-read Barry's posting and noticed that he has modestly not mentioned that he was presented with a trophy for all his work on advancing the wargames hobby. Previous recipients of the this award have been Duncan MacFarlane, Stuart Asquith and Charles Grant so he joins a very distinguished list.
Well done Barry!
Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:48 pm

:oops:

thanks Dave

Henry Ford
Alpha
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Alpha » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:04 pm

Well done Barry !
David
Head of the Lundin Links Escape Committee!
toggy
Major General
Major General

Post by toggy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:38 pm

Thought it was for the quickest pack up of a display game!!!
We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction. Macarthur, Douglas
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:46 pm

that IS a service to wargming!

Henry Ford
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:16 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gerryjd
Captain
Captain

Post by Gerryjd » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:31 pm

obriendavid wrote:Just re-read Barry's posting and noticed that he has modestly not mentioned that he was presented with a trophy for all his work on advancing the wargames hobby. Previous recipients of the this award have been Duncan MacFarlane, Stuart Asquith and Charles Grant so he joins a very distinguished list.
Well done Barry!
Cheers
Dave
Congrats Barry! :)

Dave, Does that mean we have to call him Sir or M'Lud or something now?? :shock:

Cheers

Gerry
You may call it sarcasm........I, on the other hand, prefer to refer to it as a humorous observation!!! :-)
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:12 pm

Don't give O'Brien more reasons to call me names! :roll:

Henry Ford
Gerryjd
Captain
Captain

Post by Gerryjd » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:27 pm

barr7430 wrote:Don't give O'Brien more reasons to call me names! :roll:
And that would stop him how anyway??? :lol:

Cheers

Gerry
You may call it sarcasm........I, on the other hand, prefer to refer to it as a humorous observation!!! :-)