Building footprint in 28mm please

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
valleyboy
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Building footprint in 28mm please

Post by valleyboy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:53 am

I'm looking at making some 28mm buildings from scratch along with some flat pack ones I bought from TSS and some from kits from Warbases UK.

I've never really gamed in 28mm so don't have any buildings that I own.
What sort of footprint or size would you all recommend for single buildings and secondly villages as a rough guide for 28mm principally with RTE in mind?

Would anybody please care to measure those they own oreven post pics here

Many thanks
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Building footprint in 28mm please

Post by barr7430 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:00 am

Kerry,

I think I have done something on 'footprint' here and there. If you read the stuff on 'downsizing La Haye Sainte' (christened La Half Sainte) by Coffin Dodger! it indicates reduction in footprint in principle. Buildings should be 'lower' and smaller (1/2 - 2/3rds perhaps if scratchbuilding) this really to give the visual perspective of distance. Often building the ground floor at normal height but second or thirs storeys at 1/2 height helps. good footprint for a small village is 2 feet square or a terrain tile in size. There are various scribblings in the scale section of R2E and in other articles.. maybe others can remember :oops:

cheers

B
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:27 am

barr7430 wrote:Kerry,

I think I have done something on 'footprint' here and there. If you read the stuff on 'downsizing La Haye Sainte' (christened La Half Sainte) by Coffin Dodger! it indicates reduction in footprint in principle.
Where though Barry? I can't find anything about this in Warchest. Am I being thick? I did a few key word searches in the forum and found some passing references to it but that's all. You posted a link to the Gallery in one post about it but the page doesn't exist anymore so I'm assuming that was the old website?

About to embark on some 28mm buildings myself (for the first time) so valleyboy's question is of interest to me as well.

DPT
In enterprise of martial kind, When there was any fighting, He led his regiment from behind -
He found it less exciting.

http://worldcrisisinminiature.wordpress.com/
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:49 pm

There is definitely stuff in the 'Scales' section of R2E near the beginning.
Now where else did I write about that damn subject> :?
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford