Painting tutorial

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
olddorg
Private First Class
Private First Class

Painting tutorial

Post by olddorg » Fri May 11, 2012 11:10 am

Just started a tutorial on how I paint horses for those interested. Details on my blog at: http://themetalmountain.blogspot.com

Form this:

to this:

to this:

Some examples:

Single horse and fig on left are Plastics.
The neck join needs filling in future - this was a quick sample to see how the plastic figs looked when painted.

Thanks for looking.

Olddorg
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Re: Painting tutorial

Post by j1mwallace » Fri May 11, 2012 4:20 pm

Cheers. Tried this and am impressed!
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Fri May 11, 2012 9:14 pm

Oils over acrylics, that is how I have painted my horses for as long as I can remember. Aside from the drying time it is quick and easy.

Yours look very nice as well.

Joe
eboracomb
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by eboracomb » Sun May 13, 2012 8:11 pm

thanks for a very interesting and informative post,the horses look superb much more natural than horses with large patch's of different paint,just wanted to make sure I've got it right before I try it,do you use enamal on horses and acrylics on foot figures or enamal on both.

cheers Nick
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Sun May 13, 2012 9:00 pm

I have used something similar it uses an acrylic base coat & oil washes for the horse with the detail picked out in acrylics after that gone off. The painting time is very short but an oil wash like that can take a day or two to go off completely so you can paint acrylics over it.

I used to use poppy seed oil to thin the washes as I found it the fastest to go off & combinations of Burnt & Raw Umber & Burnt & Raw Sienna I also tended to use less colour full base coats with light to mid grey & yellowish karki being my favourites with a light chestnut brown for chestnuts. I also found base coating marines and tails differently added variety as did lightly dry brushing them with the base coat after the oil had gone off & its a trick which works on 15mm as well.

I like the look of the pictures its nice when the photo's do the painting justice

:evil: Ginger
olddorg
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by olddorg » Mon May 14, 2012 10:33 am

Thanks for the positive comments. Much appreciated.

I use enamels for the foot and horses but I also use a wide variety of acrylics for the horses to give a range of tones!

Your other suggestions have been noted - thanks.

Olddorg