Triples 2012:Assault on the Mons salient 23 August 1914

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
Eugenio von Savoy
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army

Triples 2012:Assault on the Mons salient 23 August 1914

Post by Eugenio von Savoy » Sun May 20, 2012 7:09 pm

Hi all
The 'Like a stone wall' wargames group attended the Triples show in Sheffield this weekend.

Our first demo game of this season (and well overdue) was the assault on the Mons Salient - the first major action for the BEF in WW1.

The game was in 28mm and the table was 22 feet by 14 approximately. We mannaged to cover the Ouberg to Jemappes stretch of the canal defence taking in Nimy and part of Mons itself. The game also covered the German attack to the east of Mons on la Bois Haut.

In all the project took some 18 months of collecting and modelling the various elements that are now a part of our craft. Belgian boy scouts, signals teams, German FOOs up viewing platforms, Air bursting shrapnel rounds, evacuated School girls and nuns prompting a dull in the fighting, coal barges, the local fire brigade putting out burning house fires, streams of refugees, coal mines, slag heaps, barrages, a range of cannine stars including Irish guards wolfhounds, bulldogs, Dachshunds in picklehaubs, engineers in boats on the canal desperately attempting to blow the bridges without igniter units, their officers scrambling about Mons attempting to find the igniters, The Duke of Westminster in his Rolls picking up wounded officers and delivering them to field hospitals, German field soup kitchens,more barrages, the British 'Mad Minute' and on and on.....

The game was awarded the best demonstration game of the show.

Hope you like the pictures.
Regards
Tim
http://www.freewebs.com/like-a-stone-wall/

"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak, Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen."
Sir Winston Churchill,
Keith T
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Triples 2012:Assault on the Mons salient 23 August 1914

Post by Keith T » Mon May 21, 2012 12:59 pm

I had a good look at this game and spoke with several players, it got my attention and I would be very tempted to start playing this period.
Well done to all for a very good display game. :D :D
Keith
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Triples 2012:Assault on the Mons salient 23 August 1914

Post by EvilGinger » Mon May 21, 2012 2:02 pm

unfortunately though I made it to triples on the Sunday I seem to have missed this which is a bit annoying as its a period I am very interested in.

:evil: Ginger