Oudenarde Scenario, miniature Wargames

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Oudenarde Scenario, miniature Wargames

Post by j1mwallace » Thu May 11, 2006 3:56 pm

Have any of you gentlemen tried the scenario from miniature wargames no 252.Its the opening of the battle of Oudenarde and for a reasonably small game playable in a night its quite fun.
The forces required are not large the table is varied and its a great chance to get your Swiss battallions out en masse.There's some nice Prussians and a lot of mounted Dragoons.Oh , and a river and a marsh!
If anyone can't find it give me a shout and I'll tell you the numbers required.
We played it out on Tuesday and as I say, it played very well and gave a good close game.Using ULB of course.
cheers
Jim
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun May 14, 2006 9:12 pm

I'd like to see that Jim. I visited Oudenaarde last year for a day and went round the battlefield which is vast - much larger than Waterloo. Much less to see though! Hardly anybody knew there had been a battle there!!!!

B
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
pabblo41
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by pabblo41 » Tue May 16, 2006 4:02 pm

Hi Gim

I would be interested, as I do not have miniature wargames no 252.

Thanks
:oops:
Pabblo41
Wim VdB
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Wim VdB » Mon May 22, 2006 7:54 pm

barr7430 wrote:I'd like to see that Jim. I visited Oudenaarde last year for a day and went round the battlefield which is vast - much larger than Waterloo. Much less to see though! Hardly anybody knew there had been a battle there!!!!

B
That's common practice in Belgium. Most people only know about the Battle of the Golden Spurs (Courtrai 1302), Waterloo 1815, Ypres 1914-17 and the Battle of the Bulge 1944. It is even difficult if not impossible to find books about most other battles on Belgian territory. At least in proper Flemish/Dutch...

Wim VdB
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon May 22, 2006 10:22 pm

Hi Wim!

I spent a weekend driving round Belgian battlefields a couple of years back. I went to Neerwinden(Landen) on a beautiful Sunday morning. When I asked a few of the villagers where the great battlefield was they said... I was mistaken, there was no battlefield there!!! I told them Neerwinden was larger than Waterloo and they said I had made a mistake!! I met two old people going to church and in broken German(sorry I don't speak much Flemish :oops: ) told them about what I was looking for.. they directed me to a Chapel in a field which in fact was a memorial to TWO BATTLES AT NEERWINDEN!!!!! -the one I was interested in from 1693 and a second Napoleonic Battle - you Belgians just have soooooooooooooooo many battlefields!!! 8)
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
PaulMc
Colonel
Colonel

Sooooo man battlefields!

Post by PaulMc » Tue May 23, 2006 3:44 pm

Hi Barry & Wim,

Maybe that's it. The reason Belgians only tend to know a couple of battles in their own history is because almost the entire country has been fought over at one time or another! I think it's made them a bit Blaise :wink: . Sort of "Oh...another battlefield big wowee". Rather like finding tartan in Scotland.

Paul
"We shall attack across the minefield, under cover of daylight!"
Wim VdB
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Wim VdB » Wed May 07, 2008 10:33 pm

This year is the 300th anniversary of the Battle of Oudenaerde. To celebrate there is a large reenactment planned on the actual battlefield on the weekend of 12-13 july. Aound 400 reenactors are expected with infantry, cavalry and 8 guns.

Also, there will be a few expositions concerning the battle, weapons (among which the sword carried by Marlborough on the day itself), town and political situation scetches in the early 18th century.
For more information, see
http://www.oudenaarde1708.be/aa1-NEDpaginas/NLhome.html
Only in Flemish, unfortunately. If you want more information, I am willing to translate.

As I only live 65 km away form it, I'll be there! 8)