PARTIZAN MAY 2006

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

PARTIZAN MAY 2006

Post by barr7430 » Wed May 24, 2006 9:03 am

The show was very good but unfortunately I have not been home since Sunday and so cannot yet download the many pictures which I took :x

What I did notice was that WW2 absolutely dominated the show with no less than seven games on display.

Horse and musket was well represented with AWI, SYW, Napoleonic, ACW, ECW all present.

Some wonderful games which of course you can judged for yourself via the piccies(when I post them tonite) :D

I was very pleased about the reaction my own game received. Adrian & I were pretty much busy all day.

B
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
curassier
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Partizan

Post by curassier » Thu May 25, 2006 8:29 pm

Barry, it was great to meet you at Partizan and to have a chance to see what to my mind was one of the best games there. Two questions. Firstly you explianed that you had re-based your WW2 infantry on the large flames of war bases. is there any particular reason you could not have used the same rules but with your original round-multi-figure bses? Was this just aesthetics or game mechanics? Secondly you kindly offered to e-mail me something - just agentle reminder.
All the bst mate
Jon
Jonathan
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu May 25, 2006 8:48 pm

Hi Jonathan,

thanks for the kind words. Great to meet you too!
The rebasing of the WW2 stuff was purely aesthetics. The round bases (counting each as a half section) works just as well.

I haven't forgotten about the 'package'. I just need to make a couple of slight amendments.I am off early am for the holiday weekend. Should get it to you early next week.

All the best

B

Henry Ford
Anonymous

20mm 1946 Game at Partizan

Post by Anonymous » Fri May 26, 2006 12:56 pm

That there 1946 game in the new pics was put on by "The Shedheads" a dangerous off shoot (spawn?) of the Newark Irregulars. Pretty sure all of the kit laid out belongs to the Dowman brothers.

Only 8 weeks Mr Hilton??????? Sigh, very nice, very nice indeed.

Cheers
Dave
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sat May 27, 2006 5:00 pm

Hi Barry, thanks for putting the pics up of all the great games at Partizan. You were correct in the photo caption it was Freikorps against Poles. Here's the text from our handout.

"SOUTH EAST SCOTLAND WARGAMES CLUB
Presents
Upper Silesia, 2nd May 1921 ~ Poles vs Freikorps
After the end of the Great War the borders of Germany were re-drawn, partly to allow Poland to be re-established. Posen and the part of West Prussia through which the Danzig corridor passed had already been handed over to the Poles. Plebiscites were to decide the fate of the other two areas, SE Prussia and Upper Silesia, where mixed populations of ethnic Poles and Germans would vote whether to remain German or to become Polish.

The Poles had already tried twice to take advantage of the chaos in post-war Germany to take control of Upper Silesia but each time had been driven back by hastily raised German freikorps. Then an Allied ultimatum fixed a provisional demarcation line which was to apply until the plebiscite was held. The assumption was that the result of the plebiscite would be to split the area between the two countries. The plebiscite was finally held in March 1920 and some 60% of the inhabitants voted to remain German. The Allies accordingly tried to settle upon a new demarcation line but by the Spring of 1921 little progress had been made.

On 2nd May 1921, under cover of a general strike, the Polish Military Organisation (POW) made a third attempt to annex the entire region. They quickly gained control of all the cities and effectively controlled all of Upper Silesia east of the Oder river. The Berlin government was in no position to help and the Allies were not prepared to get involved. Once again therefore some of the Freikorps units were re-established and formed into two task forces deployed along the Oder.

This display represents an attempt by the Freikorps to drive the Polish insurrectionists, supported by regular Polish units, out of the town of Cosel (Kozle).

Historically, the Freikorps were generally successful in pushing the Poles back, and eventually the Allies deployed their own troops between the combatants. The Berlin government refused to support the Freikorps or to recognise their achievements. The region was subsequently divided with the Poles gaining most of the resources and most of the industry.

The figures are by Renegade, Great War Miniatures, Cannon Fodder and Foundry.
Buildings are from Colin Rumford."

Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

TWO DAVES

Post by barr7430 » Mon May 29, 2006 10:10 pm

Thanks Dave Woodward for the info and nice words :D

Thanks Dave O'B for the text! :D

Henry Ford