TARGE 2012 10th November, Kirriemuir

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
kutusov
Captain
Captain

Re: TARGE 2012 10th November, Kirriemuir

Post by kutusov » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:19 pm

Congratulations to Colin on his award a worthy winner a true gentleman and a nice fellow.

As i don't go to targe i didn't see the painting competition

but one wonders apart from winning a prize what satisfaction someone gets in winning a prize and getting praise on stage in front of other wargamers for something they know they didn't paint. personally i value my integrity a bit more than a prize with a small value..

As for thieves ban them, something to be said for other styles of justice;)
Last edited by kutusov on Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malletus Scotorum
Private
Private

Post by Malletus Scotorum » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:39 pm

People getting things painted and entering them into competition claiming they are their own work?? Surely not David, what sort of person would stoop so low ??

As for the thievery, I fully agree we do not need or want this sort of person at shows, it is as Barry said similar to stealing off your family and should be dealt with accordingly. If proven the individual should be named and shamed.

Nice putting names to faces at the show yesterday on a separate note, thank you to everyone who came to say hello.
Ian

http://fcailza.blogspot.co.uk/ My occasional blog.

‘A man does good business, when he rids himself of a turd’
King Edward I
toggy
Major General
Major General

Post by toggy » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:18 pm

Had a great day yesterday, I really enjoy the different mix of people that Targe seems to pull in.Both Gerry & myself were really surprised at the amount of interest in the game we assisted with.
The show has an appealing mix of time served gamers, & local people taking an interest in something that is happening in their local community.

Didn't see any of the painting entries, but if the only way you can win a prize is to buy something on Ebay & enter it as your own, then you're a pretty sad individual!!!!

As both Barry & Dave have said many congratulations to Colin, a very worthy recipient of his award.

Certainly worth my 800 mile round trip.

Bob
We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction. Macarthur, Douglas
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:02 pm

Yes, thanks for reminding me Dave.... catering:

Poor quality, poor selection and dirty table area with loads of spillage and not cleaned up. The guy was not cut out for dealing with the public in general although I must admit his sausages were good despite letting one of mine roll out of the bun and then sticking it back in!!!!! Sheesh!

Also, I copped for flak from 2 seperate painting entry punters who said after the announcement I made... "You were wrong, we were told by the guys as the booking in desk that any number of figures were OK no matter how few".... that needs tightening up.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Dale
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dale » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:12 pm

Thanks to everyone who supported TARGE 2012 and helped to make it the success it was. EVERY person who expressed an opinion to me on the day said how much they enjoyed the show and that is down to the hard work of club members in the lead up to the show and on the day of TARGE.

However, to answer some of Barry’s points,

1. Painters and modellers are encouraged to make as many entries as they wish. Someone putting two entries into a section does not double their chances of success. Some judges may like entry A but not like entry B. Admittedly there were sections where an entrant’s work was excellent and they won two prizes. Good luck to them and well done I say. My advice to anyone would be to get cracking now with your entries for TARGE 2013. You’ve seen the quality and you know what you have to beat!

2. If there is any suspicion that an entry is not the work of the registered entrant then that should be brought to the attention of the stewards who will withdraw the entry. That should also be brought to my attention. No judge or steward indicated any concern of that nature to me during the one and a half hours of judging. The first I heard about this suspicion was in reading the posts here.

3. The categories for the competitions are all on the Kirriemuir Wargames Club website for anyone to read, including the minimum numbers for each category. I agree Barry, this will have to be tightened up. I also agree that the judges, or principal judge at least, should have some time at the microphone to say why particular entries won. I have no information or insight into this since the winners list is passed to me seconds before the announcements are made. This will be looked at but we are constantly under pressure to speed the whole process up, not lengthen it.

4. The winners table is a good idea which will be discussed next week.

5. All of the traders at TARGE bar one, who had friends running his stall in his absence, have already booked for TARGE 2013. I’ll hear from my absent friend soon. An additional trader has already firmly booked and there is a substantial waiting list to get into TARGE. One other trader may be considered. As a trader at other types of events I am always concerned about over trading. Nobody wins from that in the short or long term.

6. Members of Kirriemuir Wargames Club are running a small tourney in two weeks. Perhaps in future we could run this or another tourney in conjunction with TARGE. As for talks/speakers – watch this space.

One trader reported the suspected theft of an item but at the time was reluctant to disclose who the suspect was. I spoke further with the trader after the show. The club committee will carefully consider any further action.
On a more positive note, one of the most pleasurable aspects of TARGE was being able to announce Colin Jack as the recipient of the Colin M. Smith Services to Wargaming cup and prize. Once again, congratulations Colin.

The caterer was certainly harassed. As a first timer he was flabbergasted by the unending appetite of wargamers and probably underestimated the quantities required. Andy’s two assistants let him down on the day of the show but he soldiered on valiantly and sold out of virtually everything by the end of the show. Your concerns will be brought to Andy’s attention a.s.a.p.

All of the issues brought up here will be discussed within the club and I’m sure that all of the League of Gentlemen Wargamers will make their views known at the Borodino game this coming weekend in Kirriemuir.

It’s always a relief when TARGE is over and is successful. A cheque is on its way to Combat Stress and other local charities will also benefit.
Russian James
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Russian James » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:27 pm

Always good to meet up with old friends, in my case a big surprise to be recognised by 2 'gamers who haven't seen me for at least 25 years!!!

I also recognised one of the prolific painting competition prizewinners as a friend of my late father, again, not seen for about 30 years.

My first time at the show, so nothing to compare it with, but will no doubt add my tuppence-worth when we discuss it at the club.