French Infantry Lineage

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
Glorfindel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

French Infantry Lineage

Post by Glorfindel » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:01 pm

Hi chaps,

I have recently completed work on a large spreadsheet in Excel which lays out the lineage of all French Infantry Regiments starting in 1567 through to 1789 (including all Regiments disbanded during these years). For each regiment, the spreadsheet shows the year they were raised and all changes in title. It is based entirely on Susane's "Histoire de L'Ancienne Infanterie Francaise". The spreadsheet is in Excel format (1.3MB in size).

Please let me know if you are interested in a copy. Send an email to :

phil-carrington at virginmedia dot com

Please also note that I am continuing work on the document to include changes resulting from the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars (based on Digby Smith's "Napoleon's Regiments" but this latter part is unfinished).

There is no charge – producing this was a labour of love but may be of interest to others. And, yes, I do need to get out more.

Please note that I have scanned the document with Norton to ensure it is virus-free but, if you are interested, would strongly suggest you do the same for peace of mind.

Regards,

Phil

PS. I also have a similar spreadsheet covering the English / British Army which may be of interest. This is a bit smaller (610K).
Ben Waterhouse
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: French Infantry Lineage

Post by Ben Waterhouse » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:30 pm

Thanks Phil - email sent.
Arma Pacis Fulcra

God, War, Drink.
yar68
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by yar68 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:54 pm

Me too!!!!
Ray

Yay...I say yay..............Yay!

http://onelover-ray.blogspot.com/
Glorfindel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Glorfindel » Sat May 18, 2013 9:27 am

Hi chaps,

Further to the above, just thought I would let you know that I have now finished work on the French Cavalry and Maison du Roi Lineage listings. This is based mainly on Susane's 'Histoire de la Cavalerie Francaise' together with other work by Digby Smith.

Please note that details on five of the short-lived regiments raised in 1652 are missing (pages 201 and 202 are missing from the copy of Vol 3 of Susane's Histoire de la Cavalerie Francaise). I would very much appreciate any input from someone who has access to Volume 3 of Susane's work to contact me and provide the missing details (a scan of the pages would be wonderful).

As before, the listing is available on an Excel spreadsheet (2.1 MB).

If you are interested in a copy, please drop me an email at :

The spreadsheet is free of charge. Although I have virus checked it, I would again recommend it is checked when you receive it for peace of mind.

The infantry spreadsheet has been slightly revised and is still available for those who want it.

Best wishes,

Phil
Greystreak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Greystreak » Sat May 18, 2013 12:18 pm

A French language copy of Vol. 3 of Susane (not in copyright) is available for a free download or "read on-line" here: http://www.archive.org/details/histoire ... 03susagoog .

I have verified that pages 201-202 are present in this copy.

Hope it helps! :D
Bryce
Glorfindel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Glorfindel » Sat May 18, 2013 2:44 pm

Bryce,

You're a star ! Great stuff - thank you. I used the same site for the rest of the spreadsheet so there are obviously multiple copies.

Now my sad little project is complete...and I'll have to leave the house and face the harsh daylight !

Thanks again

Phil
Greystreak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Greystreak » Sat May 18, 2013 2:56 pm

Happy to help, Phil, and glad you were able to complete your project. :D
Bryce
Glorfindel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Glorfindel » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:35 pm

Hi chaps,

Just a quick note to confirm that I have just finished work on the latest Regimental Lineage spreadsheet, this time looking at the armies of the British Isles, both in the separate English, Scottish and Irish Establishments and later as part of a British Army. The list is based on a slow (oh so slow) read through Dalton's six volume epic "English Army Lists and Commission Registers" and covers all Infantry and Cavalry Regiments raised since 1660. Or so I sincerely hope.

The list is in Excel format (896K in size).

If you are interested in a copy, send an email to :

As before, the list has been scanned with Norton's but I would recommend re-scanning upon receipt for your peace of mind.

If you are interested, I also have lineage lists for the French army covering all Infantry, Cavalry and Maison du Roi Regiments.

Best wishes,

Phil
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:29 pm

I just sent you an e-mail also requesting copies.

Great work!
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.