SALUTE 13

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

SALUTE 13

Post by barr7430 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:34 pm

Just arrived at Heathrow after my stint at SALUTE. 36 hours from the sublime to the ridiculous. Started the journey in a posh car leaving Georgetown, Grand Cayman. Finished it yomping a mile from Barking railway station to a Premier Inn on the North Circular and then failing to crash out mid afternoon to the sound of London afternoon traffic.
No sleep... Excel at 0730... all day manning the WI Little Round Top game (thanks Jim M and Peter M for help, coffee, sanity). Very nice to see The Red Barons of Ghent, Nigel Betts, David Milletts & Les (Nigel.. going home to watch some more TV that I know you are in!!... really nice to meet you today.. will tell the wife 8) ) and loved your gang's Lily Banners game 8) , Ray but where was Postie?, Bill P, Kerry from the Vallees, Marcel, CSG, Iain Gale, Henry H (good luck at the helm of MW), Phil & Bickers, Dave and Aly, Martin and Peter, Matt from Durham, Reiver Rob and many other friends and acquaintances that visited the table today. Sorry I am a wee bit tired so no offence if I didn't name check you and just looking forward to home.
SALUTE was SALUTE. Toilets too wiffy, many of the punters too wiffy, coffee overpriced but some lovely games, good products and a gong for the WI table (which I am claiming Dan because of my good sales patter :lol: )
Seriously though, wonderful terrain by Dave M of TM Terrain, nice figs too. All I provided were the rules and my dice and tape.

I pledge to get ALL that stuff out we promised: Skirmish Rules, Ireland Supplement, VWQ, Four Empires and of course Rally to the Colors in which there was lots of interest today. Oi Clarence, you reading this? :shock: :shock:

Interested in any views of the show from attendees. Finished the day sharing the lift at T5 with another actor.. Jonathan Pryce.... my day to rub shoulders with entertainment!

Thanks for the lift this morning Paul :D
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Russian James
Colonel
Colonel

Re: SALUTE 13

Post by Russian James » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:51 pm

Me? Sanity? :shock:
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:11 pm

barr7430 wrote:
I pledge to get ALL that stuff out we promised: Skirmish Rules, Ireland Supplement, VWQ, Four Empires and of course Rally to the Colors in which there was lots of interest today. Oi Clarence, you reading this? :shock: :shock:
8)
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:54 am

Is this some kind of second wind Barry? :)

Joe
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:16 pm

Joe, ANY kind of wind is always a touchy subject after a long haul flight or two :oops:

Henry Ford
curassier
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by curassier » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:32 pm

Your display was, as ever, a highlight, though I actually came away hugely disappointed with Salute this year. I may not have been in the right mood but the pendulum seems to have swung firmly towards the fantasy side of things; Other than WW2 there was little that hugely appealed on the historical side (except for a certain ACW set-up). The Waterloo display was spectacular but somehow I am getting fed up of seeing huge numbers of figures crowded onto tables in limited space. This is indeed one of the problems with much of the WW2 stuff - too much crammed into too little space - surely the feature of the modern battlefield is how little is actually seen ? The plastic revolution is I am sure good for punters but the show looked more corporate than ever (albeit excepting that some of these are probably still smallish companies)
A bit jaundiced perhaps but i'd like to hear others' views.
JM
Jonathan
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:54 pm

I thought I saw you briefly Jonathan. There was indeed a very strong fantasy element to the show although I had no time to consider it until you actually mentioned it. WW2 games were indeed extremely busy too. Lovely stuff but all too crowded together. There is always a temptation to overcrowd tables I think. The Waterloo game may well hve been busier than Waterloo itself.

Henry Ford
yar68
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by yar68 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:32 am

It was great to meet up again Barry, all be it too brief, sorry about the coffee, hope your not scarred for life?? :oops: Your ACW game was pretty awesome, loved the terrain, I got a few pics that I'll post up later in the week. As for Postie, he was about somewhere spending all his hard earned dosh! Glad to here the Ireland book and looking forward to the skirmish set too.
Ray

Yay...I say yay..............Yay!

http://onelover-ray.blogspot.com/
Adam Hayes
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Adam Hayes » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:07 pm

Well done you. Flying in to Blighty the night before just left me completely out of sorts for Salute; I must have wandered around in a bit of a daze. Failed to see half the people I intended to speak to and (it felt like) half the toys I'd meant to look at. :( It will be a good excuse to finally get to Partizan though...
yar68
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by yar68 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:51 pm

I've just posted some photos from the show up on my blog.......if anyone's interested that is??

http://onelover-ray.blogspot.co.uk/2013 ... art-2.html
Ray

18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:57 pm

I was about to ask if anyone had some photos... Thanks!
Greg
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:20 am

Thanks for the pics Ray :D
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:59 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fire at Will
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Fire at Will » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:10 pm

Luckily visit to daughter coincided with salute - success. I had planned to spend the day just seeing the sights, but got conscripted by the Lance & Longbow to help out on the Cravant game and had a great days gaming. I finished back at my daughter's for the first BBQ of the year - an excellent day even if I didn't spend that much and I did miss out on meeting up with various people.
yar68
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by yar68 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:28 pm

That's one of the games I missed, I probably walked right past it several times!!
Ray