Lee Maxwell

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lee Maxwell

Post by barr7430 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:31 pm

It is with the deepest sadness that I learned tonight of the passing of Lee Maxwell after a period of illness.
Lee was a fine man; Happy, carefree, good natured, enthusiastic, friendly and great company. He was a gentle giant who just gave off a fantastically nice vibe.
Together with Graham Cummings and Gordon Mclean they gave the wargaming community inspirational games on fantastic terrain and did it with the friendliest and most down to earth attitude.

I was personally inspired by them particularly in the early days of my flirting with the LoA period. Their Battle of Boyne game featured in Wargames Illustrated in the mid 1990s had me running for my reference books to identify the units crossing the river! It was my benchmark game. If I achieved anything near to that I knew I would have arrived.

Their memorable games are legion but I recall in particular The Boyne, the ACW game with the scratch built ,Ironclad in 28mm and their D-Day game with Churchills in the teddy bear cornfields.

I gamed with Lee, Graham and Gordon doing Blenheim and Neerwinden over weekends which were the precursors to the LoA weekenders we now run.

Duncan Macfarlane christened them the Teesside Triumverate. Alas, we've lost Lee and two soldiers will have to carry on. I am glad that together with Graham, Lee decided to go 'on tour' one last time and demo with David Imrie at Partizan in September. He didn't look great but the old fire was still there in his eyes. He loved every minute.

Thanks for the inspiration Lee, We'll miss you big Fella.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
GrahamC
Corporal
Corporal

Re: Lee Maxwell

Post by GrahamC » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:51 pm

Thanks Barry,
Lee and I still talked of the games you and Phil ran with great fondness, he loved every minute. You've taken our dreams to the next level and long may it continue.
I may not get to refight those games again but with Lee by my side I always recall we made an impression! One way or the other.
All the best.