Royal Irish Brigade ?

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
thiepval

Royal Irish Brigade ?

Post by thiepval » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:15 pm

Hi all

I have recently started voluntary work doing research at the Royal Irish Rifles Museum. We received a request for information a bit outside the area of the museum and wondered if someone on the forum might be able to shed some light.
The request came from a Captain in the US Air Force. He found a pewter button on the coast of the Wando river in Charleston S.C. It has Royal Irish Brigade on the front and Byrne and Brenan Dublin around the shank. He assumes it it belongs to some small British contingent during the Revolution.
My own research has come up blank so far, any information would be greatly appreciated, best regards, Billy McC.
flick40
Major General
Major General

Re: Royal Irish Brigade ?

Post by flick40 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:16 pm

Have your man contact these people to see what they can come up with.
http://asahelena.wix.com/militarybuttons

From their website:
Our key aim...
Is to bring together all the sides interested in these artefacts, our history and heritage, from the militaria collectors and academics to responsible detectorists who of course would like to have their finds identified and if of an unknown type recorded, thus adding to our knowledge of this fascinating period of our history.

​So if you have found something unusual or are trying to ID something you cant find on here, please feel free to send it in and we will do our best to help.

Joe
thiepval

Re: Royal Irish Brigade ?

Post by thiepval » Fri May 02, 2014 9:47 am

Hi Joe

I have posted your reply to the Captain, many thanks for your help

Best regards, Billy