perrys a.w.i britsh

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
turrabear
Major General
Major General

perrys a.w.i britsh

Post by turrabear » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:30 am

i was wondering if anyone could possible help me . i'm planning to game general howes phiadelphia campaign.i've planned to use perrys british figures but they have two different sets of british figures for sale
british infantry slouch hat and roundabout(no idea what a round about is)
british infantry slouth hat cut down coat .
can anybody tell me which set of figures are sutabile
thank you so much for your help.
Ronan the Librarian
Captain
Captain

Re: perrys a.w.i britsh

Post by Ronan the Librarian » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:48 pm

Hi,

For line infantry, you need the figures in slouch hat and cut-down coat; in case you are unfamiliar with the terms, a "slouch hat" (actually an anachronism as it's an ACW/Colonial term) is a plain hat turned up (or "cocked") on the left side only, to avoid the musket whilst marching, whilst a cut-down coat is a normal regimental coat with the tails trimmed off. These figures would also serve for marching Royal Artillery gunners.

The figures in slouch hat and "roundabouts" are for the two British "Light Infantry Battalions (1st and 2nd); a roundabout (also an anachronism - the contemporary terms were "Newmarket jacket" or "postillion jacket") is the red waistcoat unique to the light company of line regiments, with the sleeves of the regimental coat added to it. Thus, a roundabout has facing colours on the cuffs only, although some individual companies may have added a facing-colour "wing" to the top of the sleeve as a reminder of their flank/elite company status. Only light companies wore the roundabout, because the grenadier and centre companies of a line infantry unit had white waistcoats, instead of red.

For grenadiers, use the grenadier figures listed alongside the "Saratoga" figure packs; we know they were still wearing their bearskin caps at this time as one of their officers describes his men being ordered to put them on prior to the advance of Cornwallis's Reserve Division at Brandywine.

Hope that helps. If you need more info, post here or PM me.

RtL
Ssshhhhh!!!!!
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:04 am

thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question.
Ronan the Librarian
Captain
Captain

Post by Ronan the Librarian » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:59 am

You're welcome. PM replied to.
Ssshhhhh!!!!!