Looking for new Sculpting challenges

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!

Which of the following timelines would be the most interesting?

Thirty Years War
30%
Seven Years War
25%
Napoleonic War
13%
American Civil War
10%
Franco Prussian War
23%

Total votes: 40
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Looking for new Sculpting challenges

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:40 pm

Gents,

On behalf of my Sculptor Steve Barber (and out of my own interest) I place here a Poll to get a better Picture what Timelines would have the most takers for Miniatures to be sculpted in 28mm.

Any Comments are welcome!

Cheers,

Günter
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:47 am, edited 5 times in total.
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Ronan the Librarian
Captain
Captain

Re: Looking for new Sculpting challenges

Post by Ronan the Librarian » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:45 pm

Is this 28mm? If so, I won't vote as these are not periods I would game anyway, and I don't want to skew the result.

However, fwiw I would have thought that the markets for all but SYW and FPW were pretty much saturated in this size/scale, unless you plan to go "skirmish" or look at minor nations/unusual troop types.
Last edited by Ronan the Librarian on Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ssshhhhh!!!!!
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:47 pm

What? Oh, yes of Course :oops:

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Ronan the Librarian
Captain
Captain

Post by Ronan the Librarian » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:59 pm

OK. :D

Maybe look at doing a genuinely comprehensive range for SYW or FPW, like Barry has done for the LoA/GNW period?

Any value in resurrecting the old Helion 1860s range and extending it? Despite having never been interested in late 19C wars, I was almost tempted by the skirmish game potential in the massive number of infantry pose variations and the fact that appropriate cavalry were released quite early on, again with a few poses (eg with revolvers and carbines).

Unfortunately, many ranges seem to leave the cavalry until last, which tends to make customers nervous about investing in the range, which in turn makes the manufacturer nervous about investing in more releases.....
Ssshhhhh!!!!!
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:16 pm

Ronan the Librarian wrote:OK. :D

Maybe look at doing a genuinely comprehensive range for SYW or FPW, like Barry has done for the LoA/GNW period?

Any value in resurrecting the old Helion 1860s range and extending it? Despite having never been interested in late 19C wars, I was almost tempted by the skirmish game potential in the massive number of infantry pose variations and the fact that appropriate cavalry were released quite early on, again with a few poses (eg with revolvers and carbines).

Unfortunately, many ranges seem to leave the cavalry until last, which tends to make customers nervous about investing in the range, which in turn makes the manufacturer nervous about investing in more releases.....
Thanks for the Comment Ronan!

For the FPW we intend to release around X-mas alot of Prussians and somewhere before that the Artillery and Crews. For the early months of 2016 plans are for Lancers, Riders and other Horsemen to be sculped.
As the main difference between most Prussia allied German States are the insignias on the helmet. Head sets with those will be released in the near future.

Cheers,
Günter
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clibinarium
Major
Major

Post by Clibinarium » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:59 pm

Well I'm going to have some news on the SYW side of that question soon Ronan :)

The cavalry being left to last; yeah its pretty much how everyone does it, but its by virtue of the fact that the ordinary foot soldiers are usually the starting point. Then if the range doesn't sell they get forgotten about. But its the perennial "chicken and egg " problem in developing a range; no sales, no figures, no figures no sales. Personally I think if one picks a range to do you have to be willing to see the whole thing through, even if it takes a while, and a good range can take years. I think the Perry AWI line has developed over about ten years!
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:28 pm

That's been the problem with GNW dating back to the Foundry range.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:25 am

Referring to the statements above I am fully aware of the problems faced by sculptors who are trying to raise a range of Miniatures on their own expence.

The schedule stays allways the same. First Infantry, then Artillery and then the last, and most expensive part, the Cavalry.

This will also go for the currently built Franco Prussian War Miniatures.
The Infantry is done, also the Artillery with it's Crew and now we go for the Cavalry. But as this Timeline is very large we can only do one group of Miniatures at a time. So if we go to expand to other states of the German Union it will take some time. Is there a certain State which should be covered first? I.e., Hannover, Brunswick or the Hessian's?

Please keep your Comments comming!

Cheers,
Günter

Ronan the Librarian
Captain
Captain

Post by Ronan the Librarian » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:08 pm

Clibinarium wrote:Personally I think if one picks a range to do you have to be willing to see the whole thing through, even if it takes a while, and a good range can take years. I think the Perry AWI line has developed over about ten years!
As the principal researcher for that range, I can tell you it's more like 15, if you include the Foundry stuff Alan started out with. And there's a good 3-4 more years' worth to go, even if he devoted about 1/3 of his sculpting time to it - including (at some point) plastic Militia for sure, and possibly Hessians too.
Ssshhhhh!!!!!
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:36 am

No one makes French Hussars for the WSS.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:50 am

j1mwallace wrote:No one makes French Hussars for the WSS.
What do you have in mind Jim? :wink:

As I don't intend to research this myself point me towards pictures and details for those Hussars and we can talk. :D

Hope that helps,

Günter

j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:32 pm

I am pretty crap at putting pictures up . Give it a try
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (35.47 KiB) Viewed 16576 times
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:02 pm

Well Jim,

We have to dig a bit deeper into the Info and Uniform details for those Hussars, i.e., a Rearview would keep us from guessing:-)

Thanks

Günter
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:15 pm

Gents,

Would those gentlemen who have voted for the TYW be so kind to specify their interest in this period as there have been a lot of changes, countries and units between 1618 and 1648.

To point out where my focus in the TYW lies...nobody would imagine that :lol: .. is the Electorate of Saxony. The Timeframe is about 1635 to 1645, thats approx. the last 3rd of a War that brought more than 50% of the Population of Europe into their graves in its wake.

Thank you for any comment!

Cheers,

Günter

Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:52 pm

Given your position as King of Saxony, Poland, and all-around disliker of Prussians, there are some elements of the Seven Years War that need attention.

First off, Saxon Polish Uhlans are very much needed. I'm not aware of anybody sculpting them in 25/28mm or 15/18mm:

Also, I'm not aware of a sculpt of the Graf Brühl Chevauxlegers in the short mitre cap. While it was not issued for the SYW, it was worn during the War of Austrian Succession.

For the Franco-Prussian War, I'd like more German cavalry, especially Hussars and Uhlans. While Foundry and Helion do make them, the number of poses available are not many. Moreover, German cavalry, especially the hussars, are ideal for FPW skirmish games, given their role for scouting. As such, I'd like some dismounts. Foundry does dismounted Dragoons and Hussars, but that's it. You did an impressive job with the dismounted Saxon hussars for post-1812, and there's a serious need for dismounted cavalry in this period if you want to do skirmish games. Dismounted French, especially chasseurs d'Afrique, would also be useful for colonials in Africa.

If possible, could figures be cast headless, allowing for multiple different kinds of headgear to be sold? That might make the figures cheaper to produce, so you don't need separate casts for the Death's Head and non Death's head hussars, regular uhlans and the Bavarian chevauxlegers, Bavarian and Prussian cuirassiers, and the various kepis, busbys and czapskas worn by the French. It'd also help converting said Hussars to British ones, since the atilla is the same as the German one.
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.