Question on 1650's French Army

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
The Bruce

Question on 1650's French Army

Post by The Bruce » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:41 am

Question: I model 28mm ECW and do Genealogy. After Battle of Dunbar 1650, there were so many Scots prisoners that Cromwell's English army was at a loss how to disperse them. There are reports that (Quote) "Another 500 were indentured the following spring to Marshall Turenne for service in the French army, and were still fighting seven years later against the Spanish, side by side with a contingent of English soldiers sent over by Cromwell." Has anyone ever come across these Scots, in the French army under Marshal Turenne? What French regiments would these 'slaves' have been posted to or maybe they were just dispersed any needed unit?
Thank you The Bruce
Glorfindel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Question on 1650's French Army

Post by Glorfindel » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:46 pm

Very interesting question. Looking into this has also made me aware of the horrific march south for Scots prisoners which I wasn't previously aware of.

Anyway, I've looked at Susane, who details Regiments taken into French service and who normally notes the origin of any foreign Regiments raised. Although a number of Regiments were raised in 1651, none are noted as Scottish. Either he was unaware of a Scots Regiment or, as you say, the soldiers were dispersed amongst existing and/or new Regiments.

I've put together a spreadsheet showing the lineage of the French army which covers this time (with most of the information taken from Susane).
You are very welcome to a copy if it would help. Just email me at :
phil(hyphen)carrington(at) virginmedia(dot)com

Phil