Britannia Figs

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
pappenheimuk
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Britannia Figs

Post by pappenheimuk » Sun May 01, 2005 6:07 pm

Another question,
Has anyone used Britannia Miniatures Crimean War 25mm figs, if so how do they compare with Foundry?

David
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun May 01, 2005 10:33 pm

Others may like 'em but personally I would not recommend them. They are very bulky and anatomically out of proportion. They do not fit at all with the Foundry range. With a good paint job they'd look ok but it's a personal taste thing.

If you are looking for odds and sods not in the core Crieman Range from Foundry you need only go to :

Opium Wars
Sikh Wars
Afghanistan
Maximillian Adventure
ACW
Indian Mutiny

and you will get absolutley everything you'll need.

Bob Lauder (Thin Red Line on this Forum) is a big Crimean buff, maybe he can add something

All the best

Barry
martin terroni
Captain
Captain

Post by martin terroni » Mon May 02, 2005 6:58 am

Hi, have purchased from britannia, the guns are ok, but the figures are a definite no-no, the other ranges from foundry are best, but you may find checking out extensive ranges like old glory, you may find something useful also.

cheers :D
pappenheimuk
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by pappenheimuk » Mon May 02, 2005 9:56 am

:D Thanks folks
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Mon May 02, 2005 12:30 pm

Hi,

Can't really add much to Barry's or Martin's comments here.

Brittania are big and bulky, well out of proprtion and do not sit well alongside Foundry of the same period. However, I have picked out artilley and horse teams and merged these with the Foundry crews with some degree of success.

The British 64 pounder is massive! Their 32 Pounders and 13" mortars also grace my siege train. I have also used Brittania's RHA horse teams, complimnented by Dixons ACW horse teams for a galloping variant, again using the Foundry crews. Now they might not be a perfect substitute, but it gives a little variation.

Really at the end of the day, it is a question of individual preference but I personnally would not mix the actual figures.

Regards,

Bob Lauder (aka ThinRedLine)
pappenheimuk
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by pappenheimuk » Mon May 02, 2005 6:01 pm

I was looking at the Foundry Crimean web page and they only show a Russian 6pndr, could you use their napoleonic 12 pndr for the crimean gun?
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Britannia Figs

Post by thinredline » Mon May 02, 2005 11:12 pm

Hi,

My understanding is that the basic Russian equipment changed very little from 1815 to 1852, so I see little problem in using field equipment and artillery from that date to represent models in the Crimea. I do, and the Hinchcliffe Russian ammunition caissons and ambulances sit well with Foundry figures.

Really depends on how much of a purist you are, but I dont suppose anyone can put their hand on their heart and say "the Russians did not have Napoloenic Vintage guns in their artillery train".

I also posted a reply on your query regarding the Malakoff. I am currently working up a similar project and it might be of use to note that the Russian Black Sea Fleet not wanting to take on the combined naval poer of Britain and France had scuttled some of their warships as blockships across the harbour entrance, and utilised the guns and crews ashore in the defence of Sevastapol. So you can have naval guns on trucks and naval gun crews !

Regards,

ThinRedLine
pappenheimuk
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by pappenheimuk » Wed May 04, 2005 11:03 am

I have just seen a picture of the russian 32 ponder, I take it can be used as a naval gun whwn looking at its cariage?
"Anything but a one and you'l be OK!!!"
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Thu May 05, 2005 9:35 pm

Yip,

The Russians took their naval ordnance and crews ashore to defend Sevastopal from the land. The ships they scuttled as blockships at the harbour entrance.

ThiRedLine