Franco-Prussian

covering mainly Crimean & American Civil War
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Franco-Prussian

Post by 18th Century Guy » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:10 pm

Would you be able to extend your Crimean rules to the Franco-Prussian period? If so then how can we get a copy?

18th Century Guy
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:33 pm

Weapons and tactica are completely different for the FPW, the Crimean war was basically a later Napoleonic war where rifles just started to make an entrance into warfare. The big leap forward in the Crimea was the use of telegraphs, photography and iron clad ships not the warfare. There are lots of rules related to this specific period I would suggest trying them.

Cheers
Dave
PaulMc
Colonel
Colonel

Suggested set

Post by PaulMc » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:58 pm

Hi,

Why don't you give "They Died For Glory" a shot, I own a copy, and I reckon they capture the flavour of the period pretty well.

All the best
"We shall attack across the minefield, under cover of daylight!"
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:01 pm

I've got a copy of 1870, They Died for Glory, Victorian Rules, and Les Gen Brave. I'm just looking for a good simple set and/or the best. I like 25mm but I'm leaning towards 10mm for this period. None of the above listed rules look like that handle 25mm/28mm very well. How does everyone else deal with that?

18th Century Guy
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:26 am

[quote="18th Century Guy"]I've got a copy of 1870, They Died for Glory, Victorian Rules, and Les Gen Brave. I'm just looking for a good simple set and/or the best. I like 25mm but I'm leaning towards 10mm for this period. None of the above listed rules look like that handle 25mm/28mm very well. How does everyone else deal with that?

18th Century Guy[/quote

I ended up writting my own based on Warhammer but I added a figure scale 1:100 and a ground scale 1":100m. A corps generally works out at about 200 figures. Although I started writing them for my 1866 battles I then made additions for FPW. The fact that you want to use 25mm figures I guess you are not intending fighting the whole of Mars La Tour and would prefer to stick to smaller scale actions.

Cheers
Dave
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:13 pm

Dave,

I guess it just depends! I like the 25/28mm figures for the detail and color they lend to the gaming table. I like the 10mm figures because they allow for larger actions on the same table space. I always prefer to build my forces at the battalion level even at the 10mm scale. I've just always liked gaming at that tactical level. So who knows, maybe I would fight Mars La Tour but in 10mm.

18th Century Guy
JMTS

Post by JMTS » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:52 am

I'm just starting to build up armies for this using 10mm.

I'm basing for Principles of War, i.e. Notional Units of 3 x 30mm bases each with 7 figures in ranks of 3 and 4 or 4 and 3 to allow "interweaving" on weapons protruding forwards.

The same bases would be near enough to the 40mm DBx norm needed for Barker's web published Horse Foot Guns
Jeremy M.T. Sutcliffe
Wargaming for 30years +
paulos
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by paulos » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:40 pm

Hi Jeremy

My group has recently started playing Franco Prussian games using Principles of War 1st edition. Had some really good games and it is nice for a set of rules to actually give the French a fighting chance. 8)

We are currently looking at adding in a couple of rules for things such as troops going prone and Prussian columns to give them more flavour.

Hope you find them as enjoyable as we do. Let us know how you get on.

Cheers, Paul.
C'mon Wakey!
parkinspieces
Major
Major

Post by parkinspieces » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:17 pm

Dave

Don't suppose there will be any chance your "Warhammer" based rules will come out as an official WAB supplement then :wink:
Would be nice wouldn't it, I mean in the vain of Legends of the Old West with colour pics and "how to" articles etc :lol:

I intend to use "They died For Glory for my 28mm F/P games (when I can get the Prussians done :x ) but now have added impetus due to the new release of Helion's 1866 range :D , but what rules to use for 1866 :?:

Stuart
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Rulesets

Post by thinredline » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:36 pm

Hello,

With respect to rulesets for F/P, can I direct you to Crimean entires in this Section. :!:

War, its execution and weaponage is changing rapidlly at this point in time. Dave O'Brien's pointers are well worth picking up on. For weaponage, I have no hesitation in mentioning the "Crimean war Research Society" - a veritable mine of information for members. :D

For rulesets, well, let me know how you get on so I can modify my own :wink:
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:21 am

Derby is a hot bed for THAT sort of thing :wink: 8)
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:06 pm

parkinspieces wrote:Don't suppose there will be any chance your "Warhammer" based rules will come out as an official WAB supplement then Stuart
Stuart, Aly Morrison has been trying to get me to work up the rules to a full supplement but lack of time is the main factor in not doing more than the basic set. They were really only done for my own use and a few like minded mates at the club but Aly has been really taken with them and is currently getting all his figures out of their boxes and finally using them after years of neglect. I mentioned them to Rob at Claymore but there are already so many supplements in the pipeline that it would be years before one came out anyway.

Cheers
Dave
parkinspieces
Major
Major

Post by parkinspieces » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:30 pm

Dave,

Glad to hear Aly is getting his stuff out again :lol: assuming it's his 28mm as a year or so ago, talking to Dave Andrews, Aly was looking to sell 'em and replace with 10mm :evil:

Did you get to see that fantastic big 28mm Franco Prussian game that he, the Perry's and others put on at Partizan a few years back:?:

Hopefully it will be repeated one day :wink: In fact I believe Duncan purchased one of the 'players' collections after that game as he ended up buying a number of vignettes etc off me to supplement it.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:03 pm

parkinspieces wrote:Dave,
Did you get to see that fantastic big 28mm Franco Prussian game that he, the Perry's and others put on at Partizan a few years back:?:
Stuart, I took part in that game along with Colin Jack and Pat Connor which was part of the large Scottish contingent that Duncan mentioned in the WI.

Cheers
Dave
theoldschool
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by theoldschool » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 pm

I remember that game, it was quite spectacular. Dave, any chance of seeing your amendments for the FPW? new email is patrickconnor AT btconnect.com
Pat