Crimea - Where to start?

covering mainly Crimean & American Civil War
hattie
Private
Private

Crimea - Where to start?

Post by hattie » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:15 am

Apologies if this has been done before but I am considering having a go at getting a few units for the Crimea. It would be great for some advice on whose figures to use.

I have sort of discounted Foundry and so the obvious choice appears to be Great War miniatures but they only have British and Russians. Then Ebor do a limited range of Russians but they look so cheap (£13 for 24) that I can only assume they are plastic. Nothing wrong with that but does this mean they are compatible with GWM? Warlord do a small number of packs but whilst I like their cavalry the infantry look dont quite work for me. Are there any other ranges out there that I am missing?

Is there a simple uniform reference source that covers all armies? Or better still a weblink?

Anyway, if anyone can offer a few pointers it would be much appreciated.
StevieC
Private
Private

Re: Crimea - Where to start?

Post by StevieC » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:30 pm

Hi

The Ebor range are metal and I believe were designed to be compatible with

the GWM Crimean War range.

The book of Military Uniforms of the 19th Century isn't a bad source and

is available on Amazon at a reasonable price.

Steve
Theo Raykoske
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Re: Crimea - Where to start?

Post by Theo Raykoske » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:22 am

Hattie,

Start your reading with "Hell Riders" by Tery Brighton. It is about THE charge but is well written and very exciting - and moving - to read. Then go on to "Battles of the Crimean War" by W Baring-Pemberton. This is a readable account of all the main actions. After those two, have ago at Fletcher and Ischenko's "The Crimean War: A Clash of Empires". It is more up to date - but suffers from having been written by two people at the same time, if you see what I mean. The unputdownable account of the whole war has yet to be written!

For Russian uniforms you can try to get hold of the old Osprey "The Russian Army of the Crimean War 1854-56" by Thomas and Scollins. The second volume of Osprey's "The British Army on Campaign 1816-92 (2): The Crimea 1854-56" by Barthorp and Turner will get you started on the British.

Partizan carries 2/3 useful little booklets, too, which also cover the lesser powers such as Sardinia.

Check out the website of the Crimean War Research Society, too. They are a lovely bunch of dedicated people.

Best Wishes

Theo