Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Battle of Abu Klea (Sudan)

Post by nevermore » Wed May 20, 2015 9:06 am

Battle of Abu Klea (Sudan)

Gamed in 15mm, Victorian Steel rules, 18ft table

More photos in the gallery at http://www.victorian-steel.com/

image hosting site no sign up

In 1881, Mohammed Ahmed, a Sudanese Islamic prophet, had declared himself the "Mahdi" or "Guided One" and launched a desert revolt with the intent of removing all foreigners from the Sudan. By 1884 the Mahdi and his forces had laid siege to the largest foreign outpost in the Sudan, Khartoum. British Major General Charles "Chinese" Gordon had been given the task of evacuating the city but delayed too long and was trapped in the city.

image upload

Initially, the British Government was reluctant to send troops to Gordon's aid, but under intense public pressure relented with the dispatch of British troops under the command of Wolseley. The Gordon Relief Expedition progressed very slowly and eventually Wolesley split his forces into separate "River" and "Desert" Columns in hopes that the land force might arrive at Khartoum sooner.

adult image

Unfortunately the Relief Expedition did not reach Khartoum until January 28, 1885, two days after a Mahdist attack and massacre that resulted in the death of Gordon.

picture share

This new series by W. Britain will initially focus on two of the key battles, Tamai and Abu Klea, and will grow to include the various units involved in the campaign from both the river and desert columns.

upload a picture

This battle was fought by the Desert Column of the Gordon Relief Expedition on its way to Khartoum. British troops included 4 regiments of camel troops (Guards, Heavy, Light and Mounted Infantry), the 19th Hussars,Royal Artillery, Royal Marines, Naval Brigade, and the Sussex Regiment. They were attacked by an enemy force of 12,000 including the Beja warriors of the Hadendoa tribe.

imagur

The British defensive square included a new Gardiner gun manned by the Naval Brigade that jammed during the battle. A massive rush by the Mahdist warriors ensued and broke the square but intense fire from troops in the rear drove them out and into a retreat from the field. Rudyard Kipling commemorated the battle in his poem entitled "Fuzzy-Wuzzy", the nickname given to the Hadendoa tribesmen by the British soldiers because of the appearance of their hair.

Scenery and miniatures Grimsby wargames club.
Ronan the Librarian
Captain
Captain

Re: Battle of Abu Klea (Sudan)

Post by Ronan the Librarian » Wed May 20, 2015 4:01 pm

nevermore wrote:The British defensive square included a new Gardiner gun manned by the Naval Brigade that jammed during the battle. A massive rush by the Mahdist warriors ensued and broke the square but intense fire from troops in the rear drove them out and into a retreat from the field. Rudyard Kipling commemorated the battle in his poem entitled "Fuzzy-Wuzzy", the nickname given to the Hadendoa tribesmen by the British soldiers because of the appearance of their hair.
And of course it was also commemorated in another famous poem, Vitae Lampada by Sir Henry Newbolt - which I had to learn by heart in English when I was 11 (which was not the same year it was written, despite how I look now....... :roll: ):-

There's a breathless hush in the Close to-night --
Ten to make and the match to win --
A bumping pitch and a blinding light,
An hour to play and the last man in.
And it's not for the sake of a ribboned coat,
Or the selfish hope of a season's fame,
But his Captain's hand on his shoulder smote
"Play up! play up! and play the game!"

The sand of the desert is sodden red, --
Red with the wreck of a square that broke; --
The Gatling's jammed and the colonel dead,
And the regiment blind with dust and smoke.
The river of death has brimmed his banks,
And England's far, and Honour a name,
But the voice of schoolboy rallies the ranks,

This is the word that year by year
While in her place the School is set
Every one of her sons must hear,
And none that hears it dare forget.
This they all with a joyful mind
Bear through life like a torch in flame,
And falling fling to the host behind --

Obviously Newbolt was wrong in calling it a Gatling gun, but the dead colonel in verse two is the celebrated Fred Burnaby - available in 28mm from both the Perrys and Warlord Games.
Ssshhhhh!!!!!
nevermore
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by nevermore » Thu May 21, 2015 9:32 am

Nice one Ronan, how on earth you mastered to remember that of by heart, is beyond me, i forget halfway to the shops if i want milk or bread :?
Ronan the Librarian
Captain
Captain

Post by Ronan the Librarian » Thu May 21, 2015 11:48 am

I suspect I'd have rather more trouble learning it now, at 56, than I did back then (especially as the shool library was full of G A Henty novels and similar boys' own stuff of which I was an avid reader).
Ssshhhhh!!!!!
nevermore
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by nevermore » Fri May 22, 2015 8:05 am

Was talking in a pub on Sat, and the converstation was about nwobhm and how the music spread from there, anyway we came to the conclusion we knew about alot from the early 80s and band members and where they are now ect.. thing was we both also thought by the end of the night we were not as sharp as we were once in names.

Was a case of trying hard to remember songs and titles and the next day i remembered the answers or even a couple of days later.Thats age for you ... i forget even my own kids birthdays how bad am i ?