Uniform Colours for ECW

For topics related to wargaming in the period 1600-1660
Alpha
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Uniform Colours for ECW

Post by Alpha » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:17 pm

Calling all ECW fans...
I’m attempting to compile a uniform guide for a Royalist forces based around the battle of ‘Marston Moor’ 1644. I know that the I should be using the term ‘uniform’ with care as many regiments just didn’t have one, and there is a lot of information that is just not known! I’m not doing any of this research first hand. It’s just information that I’m gleaming from the net and my ever growing ECW library. Please chip in if you have anything to offer or are just interested! Here is how I’m tackling the project So far...
Foot
Tiller’s :
Mostly green coated with a mix of other colours like white, Yellow and Blue. (There is no direct reference to Tiller’s having green coats. It appears to be a wargames myth built up over the years but one I’m happy to go with! There was reference to Royalist green coats fleeing after the battle but they could have been any regiment! Flags thought to have been green, this is due to some green royalist flags captured at Marston Moor being attributed to them by someone?
Prince Rupert’s: Mostly Blue coated. There appears to be reference to Rupert’s blue coats on a couple of occasions. The Flags are well known.
Byron’s: Mostly Green Coated with the odd red, blue and yellow coat: Information is not known? Flags unknown? I’ll be doing them as black!
Irish regiments: Yellow coated with the odd green and red coat. There is reference to yellow coated English/Irish joining Rupert’s army. For the flags I will use the ‘body banners’ ones at... http://www.redoubtenterprises.com/shop/ ... 64&keyword don’t know where the information for these flags has come from but they look good!

I'll be looking at the ever complicated White Coat's next any info welcome!
Head of the Lundin Links Escape Committee!