Warlord ECW Plastic cavalry trooper

For topics related to wargaming in the period 1600-1660
olddorg
Private First Class
Private First Class

Warlord ECW Plastic cavalry trooper

Post by olddorg » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:07 pm

Am currently building up metal ECW armies for use with Victory Without Quarter rules (which I really like and they work well.) Just thought I'd give the plastics a go so here's a sample. It was a joy to paint. More pics on blog: http://themetalmountain.blogspot.com

Olddorg

http://themetalmountain.blogspot.com
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Warlord ECW Plastic cavalry trooper

Post by EvilGinger » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:27 pm

Interesting I would like to see more of these. As I am considering using some as later Curassier & to model armies from the 1670's with a bit of conversion.

:evil: Ginger
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:20 pm

I'm not sure if I am inspired or daunted to paint mine!

I'm waiting on the dragoons before tackling the project, since dragoons are the most usable for small-scale games while I build up!
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:01 am

The dragoons are out & have been for some time, I am sure I saw a box in Spirit Games on Saturday when I was there to feed my magic addiction :oops: :oops: .

Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:01 pm

EvilGinger wrote:The dragoons are out & have been for some time, I am sure I saw a box in Spirit Games on Saturday when I was there to feed my magic addiction :oops: :oops: .

Yeah, I know. I ordered two boxes of them a few days ago. They just need to arrive . . .
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:52 pm

What did you use for the buff coat?

I'm thinking of using Vallejo US Field Drab for the shadows, Foundry Raw Linen shadow or main for the main color, and then the raw linen light for the highlights.
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:03 pm

I would use Miniature Painters "Khaki" which is sort of a very yellow brown a bit like the one used on German world war II armour mixed with the same companies coffee or cream to lighten it wash with umber and highlight with the original mix and top highlight with a mix with more cream in it. This would end up darker than the colour I have seen ECW reenactment buff coats but these always look too new & pale leather darkens up with use & time.