Blue Sashes on Waller's Dragoons

For topics related to wargaming in the period 1600-1660
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Blue Sashes on Waller's Dragoons

Post by Rob Herrick » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:51 pm

I've often read that the sash color for Sir William Waller's Southern Association was yellow.

However, looking through the photographs of the re-enactor group for Waller's Lifeguard of Horse and Waller's Dragoons (http://www.wallershorse.co.uk/), all of their sashes seem to be blue, not yellow.

Since I'm using their photos to guide the painting of my dragoons (assuming they have better info than I do) I'd like some input/comment on the yellow vs blue issue.
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Blue Sashes on Waller's Dragoons

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:13 am

I’ve had a good look around that website Rob and there are a few pictures of chaps in yellow and ‘tawney’ orange sashes – although, as you say, a lot of blue is evident.

Re-enactors (or at least the better ones…) make good painting guides for general appearance and colours but I would be a bit cautious about treating them as ‘gospel’ for some of the details.

I know from my own time involved in ECW re-enactment that we often wore different sashes and sometimes different coloured coats depending on what we were representing (i.e. not always the regiment we actually were – depending on the particular event scenario). Furthermore, the quality of historical research and dedication to authentic appearance can vary quite a bit from re-enactment regiment to regiment. Back in my day (admittedly many years ago now) a few of the Sealed Knot units were very poor (more Hollywood - than plausible 17th Century).

However, the latter issue shouldn’t be a problem with Waller’s Horse who had, and presumably still have, a very good reputation. Have you thought of using the “contact” link on their website and asking them about the blue sashes? You might find them quite helpful, but knowing how often some regiments check their Inboxes you may have to wait a while.

DPT
In enterprise of martial kind, When there was any fighting, He led his regiment from behind -
He found it less exciting.

http://worldcrisisinminiature.wordpress.com/