Relieving the Siege of Julich (or not, as it happens)

For topics related to wargaming in the period 1600-1660
londonjock
Private
Private

Relieving the Siege of Julich (or not, as it happens)

Post by londonjock » Wed May 17, 2006 10:23 am

Funny how things come together, isn't it. A few weeks ago, there was a thread on here about using the "1644" rules for 30 years War, so I managed to get hold of a copy, but taht was as far as it went, until I recieved the latest copy of "Arquebusier" for the Pike & Shot Society. Inside were a couple of articles on the siege of Julich in 1610, and the light bulb went off above my head.
So, on Tuesday, Northolt Legionnaires duly fought a "what if?" scenario, in which the Spanish sent a force up from Liege to relieve the siege. Out to face them came a Dutch force (no surprise there, Mr Wallace!) along with some Scottish mercenaries. We decided to use "1644" but the big mean umpire (me!) forced both sides to use the formations and tactics of the day (caracoling cavalry, big Spanish tercios, the works).
It worked very well, producing a fast moving, close fought game which turned on two significant events: firstly, a sneaky attempt by the greasy Spaniards to outflank the Dutch right came to nought, as the brave upholders of freedom broke one cavalry unit before turning to meet the sneaky cuirassiers who were manouveruing to chrge them in the rear. HWen their cowardly attempt failed, the Spanish fought on for a couple of moves, then legged it for home (well, Belgium), leaving a large unit of Dutch cuirassiers unopposed on that flank. Meanwhile, the two Spanish tercios in the centre lumbered forwards while their gunners pounded the brave and stolid Scots, who just stood there soaking it up, waiting for their chance. This came when the Spanish moved within musket range, and the Scots, and their Dutch employers stood next to them, opened fire on the helpless Spanish, whose arquebuses were still out of range. The Dutch artillery joined in, but the Spanish lumered on, and things looked dodgy for the Proddies until some lucky dice throws forced a reaction test on one tercio, which it promptly failed. On seeing this, the Scots infantry moved in for the kill, doing enough to cause another test, which was also failed, and the tercio routed.
This double hammer blow finished the Spanish attempt to relieve the siege, and history resumed its course.
I have to say, it turned out to be better, and closer, than I expected, but everyone seemed to enjoy it. The "forced" use of the tercios and caracole worked well, and forced the players to think differently, which was the whole object. All in all, well chuffed with the night, and looking forward to using the rules again
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri May 19, 2006 10:49 am

Glad to hear that other people feel the same obout 1644.

I have found those amendments we created for using Poles in the TYW and will post them in the archive soon

B 8)
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford