Base sizes request

For gaming comments, queries, painting and modelling tips relating to the periods generically classed as 'Ancients'
Dale
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Base sizes request

Post by Dale » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:02 pm

This is an appeal to any experienced wargamers out there.

I am building up a couple of 28mm ancients armies assisted by Fernando Enterprises.

To date phalangites are on 20 x 20 mm mostly multiples, hypaspists and peltasts on 25 x 25, skirmishers on 30 x 30 and companion and Thessalian cavalry on 25 x 50mm.

Apart from the very rare game with others, I haven't really wargamed Ancients for about 20 years and have fallen out of touch with rules. I have used WAB and have many of the supplements but I found some of the basing a bit of a visual squeeze particularly for skirmish cavalry.

Can I call upon your experience to comment on the basing sizes above and to suggest base sizes for the units listed below.

Thracian javelins.
Skythian noble spears.
Skythian noble javelins.
Skythian archers.
Skythian javelins.

All of the above are mounted cavalry.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Jack
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Jack » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:24 pm

The common convention for WAB is ALL infantry on 20x20mm.
However a lot of folk put dedicated skirmishers on 25x25 or 30x30.
Stick all the cavalry on 25x50mm as single bases then it's easy to put cavalry in various formations especially skirmish order.

The above sizes also allow for putting them into sabot bases for other systems such as Impetus.

Impetus has just one frontage 120mm and depth depends on the type of troop. No casualties so need for single figures and a lot of scope for diorama styles bases.
Dale
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dale » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:36 pm

Thanks Jack. I posted a lengthy reply yesterday but on the point of "submit" it disappeared into the ether. I have that effect on computers which is why I don't do it often. They go all aflutter when I come near them - a bit like women really - in my dreams.

Anyway I took your advice with individual cavalry on 25 x 50mm bases but with lots on double bases. I just love square bases, especially 50 x 50. They pack away very easily and are made to measure for A4 photocopying boxes and certain box files.

I'm now considering whether or not to put the hypaspists on the smaller 20 x 20mm bases as you suggested.