Scots colours at Flodden

For gaming comments, queries, painting and modelling tips relating to the periods generically classed as 'Ancients'
pappenheimuk
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Scots colours at Flodden

Post by pappenheimuk » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:00 pm

Guys,
Has anyone any idea of specific colours that may have been worn during the Flodden campaign by the Scots pikemen, I have been painting figs using colour schemes for liveries of Scots nobles present, but I was wondering about the towns and guilds that also provided contingents,
any ideas?
:?:
David
"Anything but a one and you'l be OK!!!"
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:23 pm

I have never heard of any town troops wearing liveries, or even nobles retainers either. I would stick to very plain colours such as greys, browns and blues or undyed cloth colours. That's what I painted my Scots army in and it looks very good. Edinburgh appears to have supplied some flags to some of the guilds that were sending troops to help the king but no sign of a uniform. If you ever find any info I would be very interested to hear about it.

Cheers
Dave
pappenheimuk
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by pappenheimuk » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:43 pm

Its very difficult to find any info about uniform colours, I was talking to a couple of guys at the L&L and they thought that as the method of decking out their retinue troops in livery colours in England was so taken for granted there was no reason to suppose that the practice was not carried out up North by the Scots nobles, who also had (in some cases) quite large well armed retinues troops.
I don't think that any but the retinue or noble troops would be so issued, the majority of the Common militia would be homespun wool tunics.
The reason I was thinking that maybe the town/city militias could have some sort of uniform was that it was not unknown on the continent and in England that some towns/cities did issue some sort of uniform to their levied troops, so maybe the practise was carried out in some fashion in Scotland.
Anyway I think that a lot of the info available on Scots uniforms (in this particular period) is quite conjectural, so feel quite happy to paint my figs with a wee bit more colour.
:D
azeroth
Captain
Captain

Post by azeroth » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:18 am

There was avery good article on flodden in a recent hobilar, I can scan and email or put on cd and post if required now my scaner is working again

IAnB
A moth eaten rag on a worm eaten pole
It does not look likely to stir a man's soul
'Tis the deeds that were done 'neath the moth eaten rag
When the pole was a staff and the rag was a flag.

E Hamley
pappenheimuk
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by pappenheimuk » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:04 pm

It would be great if you could email it mate,
my address is:
david.philip1@ntlworld.com

David
azeroth
Captain
Captain

Post by azeroth » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:42 am

Looking at it it runs to 23 pages might be better to put on CD and either mail to you or if you are going to the Glasgow show give it to you there

IanB

E Hamley
pappenheimuk
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by pappenheimuk » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:44 am

I will be at the Glasgow show with the Greenock club, see you there!!

azeroth
Captain
Captain

Post by azeroth » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:37 pm

I look forward to it, we shall have to work out how to find each other lol perhaps if you wear a white carnation

IanB

E Hamley
pappenheimuk
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by pappenheimuk » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:19 pm

We are gaming a 10mm eatern front game in WW1, I'll be sitting at the table being stuffed by outrageous amounts of German artillery. :shock:

David
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue May 30, 2006 12:47 pm

The coincidence of two events has drawn me back to a project started a long time ago but never finished;

I have been reunited with a proportion of my Flodden Scots from whom I have been estranged for a couple of years and
Driving past the foot of Branxton Hill yesterday and thinking how good it would be to finish the project I started over eight years ago...
so

New piccies of my 'old Flodden Scots' soon and further painting work to come!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue May 30, 2006 4:18 pm

You guys should try and get to the battlefield sometime it's well worth it, especially with all the new signage that has been erected. Colin Jack and myself were there just a couple of weeks ago and I'm already thinking about getting my Scots out. I've even got a lovely JamesIV figure made for me by Aly Morrison. If you can't get to the battlefield have a look at the site below.

Cheers
Dave

http://www.flodden.net
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue May 30, 2006 4:35 pm

Dave,

I have already had the privilege of visiting Flodden Field on three occasions. In fact, pebbles and stones picked up from around the Pallinsburn grace the bases of my Flodden Scots figures. A bit of a humbling place I found, to know that Scotland's greatest defeat took place there and also that the King and most of the nobility were wiped out is a rather awesome thought.

The website link is very good - thanks for that! :D I will definitely continue building my forces - I have used War of the Roses figures for a variety of reasons such as:

Scotland MAY have been a little behind the 'fashion' curve :shock:
I don't like the Dixon's range

B
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford