Bring my Napoleonic units up in strength

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Bring my Napoleonic units up in strength

Post by sharnydubs » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:19 am

I've decided to raise the strength of my current 24 man Napoleonic regiments up to 36 man. This will be some task. Why you may ask.
Well in part because I've noticed that they have more chance of standing and fighting (under Barry's rules) if they are larger units than if they are smaller.

First up are my Russian grenadier infantry units. That should take me until the end of 2009 at current rates of painting !
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:10 pm

Due to the vaguaries of Foundry's pack sizes I have now increased my Pavlov Grenadiers to 42 fgures. Slighty higher than the 36 figures I planned. So now the dilema is - do I increase to 48 figures ?

So my plans to increase all my napoleonic units to 36 figures are already shot to pieces, unlike my Russians who hold their ground in the face of all fire !
Peter

General Schnapps
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by General Schnapps » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:10 pm

48 man units :shock: how the **** are my Prussians supposed to sweep to glory against that lot :evil: they have enough trouble against 24! :cry: Time to get some more Jaegers I think :twisted: and another Brigade and some bigger guns and more cavalry :roll: oh and some new dice just to be on the safe side.
General Schnapps.
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:47 pm

I have to do something to deal with those Prussian Jaeger veteran/elite/guard/rifle armed skirmishers with their +4 die rolls !
Peter

thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:24 pm

And the odd ditch , or two, to hide your Jaegers in General Schnapps :roll:
As for 48 man Russian regiments, the bigger the better - I have no doubts that they will look good, be hard nuts to crack, and add to the fun and mayhem amonst the Prussian Lines :wink:
Thinredline
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:58 pm

Peter,

I hope I haven't put you to a lot of trouble :lol:
The spread of the Napoleonic virus is alarming...
Ne plus Ultra from Schnapps (when I saw him at Targe) seems to have gone by the boards already.... Nope, he said, no more Prussians....
hmmmmmmmmmmm :roll:

Seems like he is following the trend of the Prussian General Staff... you can never have too many Prussians in the field. 8)
Hope Adrian doesn't develop further meglomania re: HIS Prussians (cos I will be the one to suffer) :roll:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:56 pm

My noble Russians had another outing this weekend in a Sunday evening game with Kevin.

The scenario was quite simple. Three French battalions (actually French and Poles) and two regiments of Hussars out on the forage for some food for their colleagues on the retreat back from Moscow. They came upon a town defended by the St Petersburg militia , a 36 man regiment with half in muskets and the remainder in pikes. A combination of stout defense from the militia (helped by the +1 for pikes in melee modifier) and some rolling of ones at the wrong time by the French saw the militia hold their ground and see off two French battalions. By comparison the regular Russian infantry fighting in open ground were given short shrift by the remaining French battalion. A good open game with the Cossacks and French hussars dispatching each other in equal measures.
Peter