My Beneath the Lilly Banners French Army

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
Me paints good
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

My Beneath the Lilly Banners French Army

Post by Me paints good » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:54 am

First unit done, Dillon's Irish Regiment....Next up French Guards. Figures are all Essex 15mm, all out of my bits box. I used a combination of vallejo and the foundry paint system. The ensigns have just a minor conversion and switched hands with some essex medieval pikemen :D There was some debate amongst myself, on wether or not to resurrect some old Dixon marlburians or these, but I like the way they turned out.
Also figured out that the FOW small bases longwise are almost exactly half of 45mm so work out perfectly.

Last edited by Me paints good on Fri May 02, 2008 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
big-gazza
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Location: Married with Children........in Strathaven, Scotland.

Post by big-gazza » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:55 am

HI,
very nice 15mm figs. Nice attention to detail and I like the FOW base idea.

Gazza
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:46 pm

Yes indeed... YOU CERTAINLY DOES PAINT GOOD!! 8)

Very nice work and I hadn't spotted the FoW bases(trust Gary to do that :roll: )

Great idea!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Alpha
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Alpha » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:15 pm

Great work on these 15mm figures! Please post an image of the French Guards when you have done them!
David
Me paints good
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Me paints good » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:50 am

now I'm working on the Garde te Voet, which will provide me with the beggining of an enemy force for the French.

*Updated to reflect new company sized organization
Last edited by Me paints good on Fri May 02, 2008 6:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:00 am

Very Nice!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:48 pm

In choosing your French Brigade(Grey Coats) why don't you pick by 'the flags I would most like to have' 8) French colour combinations and geometrics go from bold to stunningly geometrically psychadelic :shock:

Allied suggestions: Scots Fuzileers
Other Allied brigades: Have a look at the Danes and what about some Germans?... lots of States and principalities to choose from? :idea:

Henry Ford
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:15 am

I'd fully agree with Barry. Pick the nicest flags for your French and organise your army that way.Very nice figures by the way, excellent paint job.
Me paints good
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Me paints good » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:03 am

Those weren't the Scots i was talkin' bout. I was refering to the Dutch Scots Brigade of which I haven't seen too much information on, at least in the WSS.

I'm almost beggining to think I should go small actions scale, the way those Gardes Francaises came out...I'm mesmerized by them, the little voice in the back of my head keeps telling me that I want a 60+ fig battalion of them.

How do you usually organize your skirmish games barry?
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:10 am

Ahh.... those Scots!!!

Re: skirmish games, I don't usually do skirmish games in this period but
'company' level games can be fought with BLB.

Treat 2 or three figure bases as a company (figure to man ratio of 1:5) that way you can have a huge number of Gardes Francaises figures!!! as each 12 or 18 can represent one of the six companies. There were six battlaions of GF so you could have hundreds of 'em :wink:

Go to www.wargamesjournal.com for the BLB scenario on Newtownbutler. It gives info on how to set up a company level game and a normal battlaion levle game for the same scenario. It's a downloadable(large) :shock: pdf

Henry Ford
Me paints good
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Me paints good » Thu May 01, 2008 9:23 pm

1st company :D of Gardes te Voet gotta take the flags of the first unit of French guards and convert the Irish into a grenadier company. I figure each force will be a couple of battalions of Gardes Francaises or Blue Guards and then some detached Grenadier companies formed into piquet battalions (that's mostly for color). Anyways, anybody know any of the French units which had grenadier caps at this time other than just Tricornes? My Osprey books aren't very helpful here. Thanks

barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu May 01, 2008 10:49 pm

veeerrrryyy nice 8)

Henry Ford
Me paints good
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Me paints good » Fri May 02, 2008 6:22 pm

thanks Barry, by the way...

in company sized battles, are the colors, a seperate entity from the individual infantry companies. If I just make a battalion command stand with a mounted officer and some colours/drumers etc. wil that work, especially since I think the captured standards rule is super cool