painting stubble on 28mm figures

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
kutusov
Captain
Captain

painting stubble on 28mm figures

Post by kutusov » Tue May 13, 2008 9:31 am

Hi lads

I'm about to start on painting a unit of 28mm Late war brits from crusader and want to give them the knackered we've been slogging it look,and I've seen Barrys ww2 germans with a great unshaved look.

How do you get this effect?

detail please remember I don't paint anywhere near to the standard barry achieves :cry:

kutusov
simon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by simon » Tue May 13, 2008 11:49 am

Kutusov
I normally paint up the face as normal then with the deepest flesh colour, the one I use for shade, mix in a little dark blue then apply this to the required area, highlight as necessary by adding a little pale flesh and stand back to admire the five o clock shadow that you will never see during a game but you know it is there.
Simon