Irish Militia

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
Adam Hayes
Colonel
Colonel

Irish Militia

Post by Adam Hayes » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:16 pm

I got some painted Reiver figures cheap recently and rebased and with new flags they will do me as anonymous Irish regiments.

http://www.adamhayes.co.uk/WargWarLOA01 ... ejac01.jpg

Completely invented flags, feasible though?
Heneborn
Major
Major

Post by Heneborn » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:17 pm

Those are really nice!

The flags seems to be appropriate enough :wink:
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:11 pm

Yes nice Adam :D
You'll have the anoraks diving for their reference books in panic... which flag is that, I've never seen it before, what is your source, etc etc :lol:

I have had two occasions of that happening, both which I found pretty funny...

1. My Sacred Heart flag on McKellikut's Irish Jacobites... Mark Allen was a little perturbed and asked me where I had found the info.. he'd written an article on Jacobite flags and that wasn't in it.... no wonder, I made it up :lol:

2. During a LoA Italian Wars demo game I had painted a Landsknecht unit with red and yellow horizontal bands on their pikes. A visitor to the show visited another table at the show also doing Italian Wars and told the hapless Demo-ers that their game was wrong as the pikes should be painted in stripes!!! :shock: Made that up too, because I was bored and didn't like painting the Landsknechts :wink:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Alpha
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Alpha » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:00 pm

Great work Adam! I'm doing some Reiver castings just now. Love the flag also.

David
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:30 pm

Alpha wrote:Great work Adam! I'm doing some Reiver castings just now. David
Speaking of Reiver figures, are you coming to the club on Thurs? If so I'll bring the two packs along with me.

Cheers
Dave
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:57 pm

I did the same with some Wars of the Roses figures. Entirely made up but look nice. Heraldry is the same. I like to tell the the anoraks I got it from tinternet.
It gives them something to do.
Alpha
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Alpha » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:53 am

All this makes me wonder how much stuff we take as historicaly correct was just made up :) For me...if it looks right it is right!

Yes Dave at the club on Thursday.
Adam Hayes
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Adam Hayes » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:22 pm

Thanks chaps! I enjoyed what research I did to find the right sort of symbols/heraldry might be used in the 17th C. I did have qualms about what history fundamentalists might say though... :)

I remain in a quandry about the Reiver figures. I like the style and animation but they just don't match up with all the Foundry, Dixon and Parkhurst miniatures I already have... A point of interest for Reiver fans is that the Marburian figures that were produced by Freikorps match them quite nicely. The guy between the two colour bearers is a Freikorps 28 now sold by www.blazeaway.com.au.