Ceramic "Christmas" Buildings

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
Bluebear
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Ceramic "Christmas" Buildings

Post by Bluebear » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:17 am

You've probably seen them in various shops . . . those often garishly painted (and snow covered) ceramic "Christmas Buildings".

Every year I keep my eye out for them since they're often priced very economically. I just purchased eight of them day before yesterday for $2.24 Candian (currently about $1.90 US, 1.21 UKL, 1.49 euros) each.

Seriously, as long as you avoid the ones with automobiles, etc. you can easily turn these into very usable buildings for the table top.

Simply re-painting the roofing (and snow) a new color can make a world of difference. And by the way, painting the same building with differing roof colors can turn two of the same building into two 'different' buildings (particularly if placed at different angles.

Yes, it also helps to re-paint the garish "Christmas" bunting, etc. . . . but truly the real difference maker is the roof. Keep your eye open and when you see a few at a good price, pick them up and give this a try . . . I think that you'll appreciate the result. I know that I do.

-- Jeff

PS, Each year new houses come out . . . so you can add new shapes during the coming years.
Fire at Will
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Fire at Will » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:46 am

Jeff, nice buildings for very little cash, did you see the article in Battlegames on using novelty teapots as a source of buildings?

Will