Perry Plastics and Quickshader

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
quindia
General
General

Perry Plastics and Quickshader

Post by quindia » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:48 am

After realizing the Victrix Flank Companies are not due to arrive in the US until January, I decided to try out a box of Perry models. These were painted as the 2nd Westfalien to reinforce my French army and they were painted from a white undercoat to finished bases in exactly seven days...

This is the first of two units that will form the regiment, but I just got a batch of 28mm WW2 vehicles as an early Christmas present (ok, I bought them and told my wife they were "from the cats" - she does that every year :roll: ) so I'm off the 1944 for a bit!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:18 pm

Very nice MrH... I will post some 40mm stuff I've done with the Molasses shortly!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
PaulMc
Colonel
Colonel

WOW

Post by PaulMc » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:27 pm

Right, they are just gorgeous. I don't need to say any more than that.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
"We shall attack across the minefield, under cover of daylight!"
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:22 am

Very nice job. The gloop seems to be pretty good after all. I've had a tin for months but not tried it yet. Saw the Victrix brits in static in Glasgow Yesterday and I have to say I'm impressed. i need more unpainted figures like Custer needed more Indians
Heneborn
Major
Major

Post by Heneborn » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:45 pm

Those look really good! I might have to get on the quickshade train myself :)

What colours are you using and what tone is the shade in?
parkinspieces
Major
Major

Post by parkinspieces » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:05 pm

Clarence,

Great looking unit :lol:

May I ask which "strength" of Quickshade you used as I believe there are 3 types, as I've got a load of 1796 Austrians to do and am looking for a quick way to get 'em done and what you've used for your Westfalien's just looks like what I need :?:

Stuart
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:15 am

The models were painted with Foundry and Games Workshop paints. The models were primed with white. The fleshtones are GW Bronzed Flesh highlighted with GW Elf Flesh (the later coming after the Quickshade). The metallics are GW Boltgun Metal and Shining Gold. All other colors are Foundry and I used the "B" step of their three step colors as my base tones, followed by "C" step highlights after the Quickshade.

The Quickshade I used was the STRONG TONE, which is the middle strength stage they offer, and I paint it on with a brush rather than dunk the model.

This process should work great for Austrians!
parkinspieces
Major
Major

Post by parkinspieces » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:44 pm

Many thanks for your reply Clarence :D

Barry, where's them 40mm you mentioned :?: And I thought you said you didn't like 'em, as didn'ye try one before :wink:

Stuart
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:22 pm

You mean you actually believe the crap that comes out of my mouth Stuart! :wink:

No actually... I mean 40mm Graven Images WW2 stuff... I've bought a couple of hundred and have painted 40 in the last 6 days... no really! :shock:

I have a big R2E playtest tomorrow/sunday, I'll post the pics after then... promise!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
parkinspieces
Major
Major

Post by parkinspieces » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:03 pm

Barry,

Glad to hear you are play testing R2E, as one of my mates (yes Barry, I do have more than one :wink: ) is really looking forward to the rule set being released, as he suggested to me about 3 years ago his cunning plan for Napoleonics which we all said great, what scale :?: 16 fig batts, 24 fig Batt's etc, 1812,1813 1805/06/07 etc., then he said no, 28mm Peninsular @ 1:5 scale :shock: We all said you etc etc.....your on yer own and since you announced your 1815 project @ 1:5 scale and that your rules will be suitable he's all smiles...now :D

However, I'd like to know if it can be used the other way as in 1:40 scale, which is what we are using for our 1796 project (I believe Angus Konstam is using them at 1:25(?) for his 1796 project) so any feed back would be gratefully recieved.

Stuart

PS Will there be any French Rev era photos in the rule set, or indeed a nice cross section through the whole period as the tilte suggest's, or just 1813-15 :?: :wink: