Swedish Lifeguard Grenadiers

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
Heneborn
Major
Major

Swedish Lifeguard Grenadiers

Post by Heneborn » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:30 pm

Well, this has taken some time to complete, but it is probably my best unit so far, hope you like it. More pictures can be seen at my blog
http://kriegsmarine.se/atthefront/

Yggdrasil
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:52 pm

Very nice indeed Heneborn.... I have a unit just like them in my GNW gallery.

I don't think you'll get too many compliments from any of our Danish members though :wink:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Heneborn
Major
Major

Post by Heneborn » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:17 am

Thanks Barry, I was inspired (read: stole the idea!) from your unit.

:lol:
Yggdrasil
oathman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by oathman » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:25 am

A really nice unit that one Heneborn. I must agree with what I read on youre blogg, I have never seen that uniform before either. The problem is not the coat but the thing on the breast on the coat. What is that? Either way you have, as always, painted them really well and I for one like the look of the flag 8)

I am at the moment a 15mm man but all the nice 28mm here on this site makes me think that I should go back to that scale...

Ooohh well I have sooo many plans!

/Oathman
martin terroni
Captain
Captain

Post by martin terroni » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:55 pm

Yep really nice paint job, need to get some of these for my swedes :)
"There's no booze, there's no broads, there's no action!
Heneborn
Major
Major

Post by Heneborn » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:03 pm

oathman wrote:I must agree with what I read on youre blogg, I have never seen that uniform before either. The problem is not the coat but the thing on the breast on the coat. What is that?
Well, I think I've found the source that these models are based on.

http://digitalgallery.nypl.org./nypldig ... &snum=&e=w

He looks really weird to me and I have never seen or read about any Swedish uniforms that would look like this. The coat is too short, swedish grenadiers did not have tha falling bag from their caps but were straight at the back. And that yellow thing on his breast I am not even going to comment on :wink:

It's lucky that the Foundry miniatures look as good as they do!
Yggdrasil
oathman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by oathman » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:50 am

Hi Heneborn

Nice to see that picture. It gives more understanding to why the models look like they do. But still, they are strange :wink:

I find my self wondering were the painter got his information. I have never seen that uniform in any of the books I have on swedish uniforms and I have a few. Ooo well the figures are nice and well painted so I let it slipp this one time... :twisted:

I will see what I can find about this.

/Oathman
Heneborn
Major
Major

Post by Heneborn » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:47 pm

I've found another one! From the Knötel-Tafel collection.

http://www.grosser-generalstab.de/tafel ... 03_36.html
Yggdrasil
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:38 am

What is really odd about this design is how the coast actually stays 'closed' :shock:
Unless it has loops and burrons on the inside (hook and eye type arrangement).. wouldn't the coat flap or fall open??

Henry Ford
oathman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by oathman » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:08 am

Hi again

Well I have now searcht for some more information about this uniform. I have found several pictures now showing this type of uniform. Search the name gustav cederström on google and you will see some of them. The problem is that Cederström paintet his pictures in late 1800 and in the begining of 1900. He took a lot of inspiration from french style during the Napoleonic wars and you can see that in his pictures. I should have seen it before since I have some copys of his pictures here at home.

/Oathman
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:58 am

That is interesting Oathman.. you think he has used artistic licence to make the Swedish Grenadier coat look like French Napoleonic uniforms?

You could be right!

Henry Ford
oathman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by oathman » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:08 am

Yes look carefully on the paintings and you should see it. Study also the mens mustaches and how they have their hair. The swedish soldiers in 1700 often had their hair in a pony tail but in the paintings they have the hair lose.

Aaa well I will see if I can find some pictures to post. I have a picture here at home were you could see it.

Damn I must get better at english so I can diskuss this matters more clearly...

/Oathman
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:41 pm

Your English is a damn sight better than my Swedish!!!! :wink:

Henry Ford
Heneborn
Major
Major

Post by Heneborn » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:11 pm

oathman wrote: Damn I must get better at english so I can diskuss this matters more clearly...
Äh, vi tar det på svenska bara, lika bra ;)

On a more serious note (or not), I think you might be right! If you look on the painting "Karl XII:s Likfärd" you can clearly see that "yellow-breast-thingy" on the two soldiers carrying the king, and on several soldiers further back. And all officers, even the dead king, are wearing cavalry boots in the norwegian mountains! You can also see this on the painting from the battle of Narva on the soldiers in the background to the right.

What he does is something painters have done for centuries, painting a "historic" painting, only painting it as if it would have been today. Cederström is perhaps not a great example of this but it shows that historical accuracy is a fairly modern phenomena.
Yggdrasil