15mm Beneath the banners

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
Dilly
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

15mm Beneath the banners

Post by Dilly » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:32 am

Hi, just started my own blog to show my figures, mainly Dixon and Essex, as currently I'm unable to find any other figures the are compatable, have checked:- Irregular, MY, Lancashire, Venixia, Hallmark, first 4 too big, last 1 too small,any suggestions or constructive critisism are always welcome.
As to why, 1699! well? ish!, because I will be going 10ish years either side,WHY ?? Because I can :D
http://1699wellish.blogspot.com/
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:40 pm

THAT IS NICE.. ENJOYED IT :D
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Dilly
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Dilly » Fri May 01, 2009 2:40 pm

All updated :lol:
pabblo41
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by pabblo41 » Sat May 02, 2009 7:20 am

Hi
Try Roundway 15mm, they are a similar size to Dixon/Essex. They are on the Navwar site under the 15mm link. I use them with my 15mm figures which are like yours mainly Doion/Essex Roundway and Minifigs.
Pabblo41
Dilly
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Dilly » Mon May 04, 2009 8:42 am

Hi Pabblo, looked at the roundway figures, but found them not to be to my taste, will however be looking at peter pig and frie korp to expand my choice of cavalry figures, warrior also look a possability. 8)
Dilly
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Dilly » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:46 pm

Hi guys. more updates :D
gensdarmes
Private
Private

Post by gensdarmes » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:36 pm

Hi Wayne,

I enjoy your blog (and congrats on your recent marriage ... every happiness!). I have Venexia, Essex, and Irregular. You're correct about Venexia -- way too large. I do find that Irregular are compatible with Essex, at least the cavalry, which is what I have.

How are you mounting your figures? Mine (infantry) are on 60mm x 60mm bases (6 figs.), with the usual 3 bases/bn.

g
Dilly
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Dilly » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:53 pm

Hi,
Must be well spaced out or I,m guessing they're 25mm, my bases are, infantry 30mm x 30mm, cavalry 40mm x 30mm, they are metal bases supplied by a British company, can't remember their name but there's a link on my blog somewhere, thanx for the good wishes and the heads up on irregular cavalry, I'd only compared the infantry, will have to take another look
Last edited by Dilly on Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gensdarmes
Private
Private

Post by gensdarmes » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:06 pm

Umm, sorry. The actual infantry bases are 40mm x 40mm, as I have found that this is the only size that can accomodate Venexia and Essex. Also, I can use this base size (x3) to put out units for Basic Baroque and Basic Fury (plus supplements).

Currently painting Royal Danois before moving on to Royal Italien.

g
Dilly wrote:Hi, Must be well spaced out or I,m gueessing they're 25mm, my bases are, infantry 30mm x 30mm, cavalry 40mm x 30mm, they are metal bases supplied by a British company, can't remember their name but there's a link on my blog somewhere, thanx for the good wishes and the heads up on irregular cavalry, I'd only compared the infantry, will have to take another look
Dilly
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Dilly » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:31 pm

Quite a few new pics, hope you enjoy them. 8)
Regards Dilly
Coyote
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Coyote » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:58 pm

It's stuff like that that makes me wonder if 28mm is not the best way to go. Good stuff, subscribed.
Tyler "Coyote" Provick
http://tyler.provick.ca
Dilly
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Dilly » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:49 am

Thanx Coyote, :D choose 15mm, easy to paint, far cheaper but most importantly dead easy to store.
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:29 pm

Dilly,

That is a nice site you have there; I really enjoyed reading your blog. Thanks for sharing.

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
Ronan the Librarian
Captain
Captain

Post by Ronan the Librarian » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:45 pm

This guy has some "side-by-side" reviews of WSS ranges, and it is also a good site for WSS wargaming stuff generally:-

http://steve-the-wargamer-wss.blogspot.com/

Some further suggestions for figures:-

Black Hat's new range; compatible with Dixon/Roundway -

http://www.blackhat.co.uk/online_shop/i ... 5da61f9f8d

Donnington has 6 or 7 ranges covering ECW/TYW through to 1700 -

http://shop.ancient-modern.co.uk/warfar ... y-19-c.asp

Peter Pig are a little on the small side, though a bit bigger than Hallmark. Minifigs are a little taller than Dixon, but not as big as Venexia etc (oddly, Minifigs horses are larger than Dixon, but rider and horse together look smaller than Dixon cavalry). Don't completely discount Hallmark as they do lovely wagons etc and odd items, such as roadside crosses, which are ideal for "landscaping" your battlefield (if you're into that sort of thing).

On the subject of wagons, Museum Miniatures are superb; they also do some useful extras, such as fences, religious figures, etc:

http://www.museumminiatures.co.uk/
(search for "Equipment" in the scroll-down menu at the very bottom right of the home page)
Ssshhhhh!!!!!
Dilly
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

At Last !!!

Post by Dilly » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:52 pm

Updated at long long last :shock:

http://1699wellish.blogspot.com/

All comments welcomed good or bad