French Revolutionary Wars - Austrians

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

French Revolutionary Wars - Austrians

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:54 am

Well - here goes. First unit finished. These have featured in a couple of Eureka Miniatures adverts, but I've added a couple of stands since then. 32 figures based in fours for a slightly tweaked version of Republic to Empire. Second battalion underway...

My rather 'impressionist' painting style works fairly well at a distance, perhaps not so good close up - but I'm quite pleased with these.

Cheers - John
Last edited by Duke of Plaza-Toro on Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.
In enterprise of martial kind, When there was any fighting, He led his regiment from behind -
He found it less exciting.

http://worldcrisisinminiature.wordpress.com/
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:55 am

Hmmmmm - my pictures don't work :cry:

What am I doing wrong?

(edit)

Ahhh - that's better!

(Wished I'd made the top one a bit larger though...)
In enterprise of martial kind, When there was any fighting, He led his regiment from behind -

Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:06 am

Oh - and I nearly forgot -

All Eureka Miniatures 28mm and flags from GMB

Cheers - John

barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:13 am

Very fine unit John.. congrats! 8)
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:28 am

My rather 'impressionist' painting style works fairly well at a distance, perhaps not so good close up - but I'm quite pleased with these.
Heck, they look good to me! Nice work :D
janbruinen
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by janbruinen » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:05 pm

I like them and would love to see more of this range
greetings
jan
Alpha
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Alpha » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:35 am

Love these, Well done! Looking forward to seeing more.
Greystreak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Greystreak » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:25 am

Nice looking unit, John! :D I think you've got the 'contrast' between white/grey spot on with these!
Bryce
Adam Hayes
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Adam Hayes » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:32 am

Superb work, I wouldn't call them impressionist that does your style a disservice if anything. I have looked at those Eureka figures several times now; is there something about the figures or the cut of the uniforms that makes them all look a bit portly around the middle? :)
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:41 pm

Adam Hayes wrote: ...is there something about the figures or the cut of the uniforms that makes them all look a bit portly around the middle? :)
Good Aussie beer? :lol:

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:50 pm

Maybe it's the generous turn backs on the 1792-1798 uniform which tended to make them all look a bit 'hippy'. :wink:

"Pardon me Herr Oberst. But does my bum look big in this?"

Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:18 pm

Thank you for the generous comments gentlemen.

My eyesight isn't too flash, but I've discovered using a dark block shade - and then the main colour on top, leaving a little of the dark shade showing around the 'edges' (especially on cuffs and other facings), tricks the eye (at least from a distance) and blurs the boundaries between each colour. This 'hides' the bits where my hands weren't too steady or my eyesight let me down. Hence the description of my style as "impressionist". My brush work is no where near as accurate as some of the fine work other forum members have posted here.

Incidentally - I'm a white undercoat man. Especially for white uniforms - which brings me to Greystreak's comment -
Nice looking unit, John! I think you've got the 'contrast' between white/grey spot on with these!
Very kind of you to say so! Yes, I like my white uniforms to have a slightly offwhite, dirty, "we've been marching miles on the dusty summer roads of Europe" look, rather than a straight white / dark grey shading effect. I think the base shade coat I use is Vallejo 'German Camo Beige' or something like that, worked up with increasing amounts of 'Bone white' (Vallejo Game Colour range) and straight white (but I never apply the latter neat). Besides - the experts all seem to agree the Austrian rank and file uniforms were an off-white / grey-ish shade anyway - so I'm being Mr Authentic :)