Victrix 1804-07 French

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
Curt

Victrix 1804-07 French

Post by Curt » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:07 am

Hi all,

I picked up a copy of R2E earlier this summer (brilliant stuff by the way) and I've been lurking around this site for a few weeks now getting information, inspiration and tips on the rules which has been very helpful.

Anyway, I thought I'd 'kick in' and submit a few pics of the stuff I've been working on lately. Its a French battalion from the Victrix 1804-07 boxed set. I already have a decent sized collection of Foundry models but I recently picked up a schwack of the Victrix plastics as they offer the early French in their bicornes, thigh-high gaiters and long coat-tails which I quite like the look of. I was completely gobsmacked when I opened the first box and discovered that there are around a zillion separate pieces to these guys! Each figure is composed of around 6+ separate parts, with options galore - its completely mental. Anyway, I girded my loins, got out my sprue clippers, sniffed some plastic cement and started in. I persevered and I must say that I do like the ability to build unique units without too much hassle. Here are a few 'raw' unpainted figures which have been arranged for an early command stand concept (note the officer with the now ubiquitously fashionable greatcoat-over-the-shoulder pose. Actually, he kinda reminds me of Lord Flashheart: 'Austrians? Over there? Well, let's Doooo-IT! WOOF-WOOF!').

The cool thing about the multi-pose plastics is that you can build a unit incrementally allowing you to flesh-out an idea for an overall theme. The box came with a couple mods for guys raising their hats and I thought I'd do a whole battalion that is in the midst of a impromptu salute. I envisioned a scene where the colonel is passing along the praise of the brigadier to the battalion for covering itself in glory in the past engagement. The men are loving it, with lots of back-slapping, musket-waving and shouting out of "Vive l' Starbucks", or something.

I have a hard time getting used to how light these guys are. It kinda freaks me out as I'm used to a certain heft with a unit of this size. In retrospect I'm happy I went with mounting them on metal bases as I think they'd otherwise blow away with a good sneeze. I also prefer the lower profile to the bases - the figures seem more part of the playing surface.

The other thing I wanted to try with this unit was to place extra figures and groundwork into the 'dead space' at the front of each base. I reason that this way when the battalion is placed into column formation there is more of a visual connection between the ranks of bases. Technically this unit would be rated as a 32-figure battalion in R2E but it has a few more models in it as I prefer a more packed-in look. There are a few light conversions in there with guys holding their bicornes, bearskins and shakos. There is also the obligatory bald guy to commemorate my own follicle-challenged status.

I wasn't really sure on the autumnal groundwork colours but I think I'm warming to it now. It seems to give more variability to the overall palette instead of just seeing a mass of blue and white. I've got a bunch more models pretty much ready to go but I'm waiting for some more 'filler' NCO/junior officer castings from the Perry's, Foundry and Sash and Saber to act as file closers. Perhaps I'll post another update once I have a brigade's worth based and their groundwork completed.

Next on the workbench: Perry French Dragoons!
Atheling
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Atheling » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:08 am

Very, very nice work 8) 8) 8) 8) .

Darrell.
Just Add Water High Quality Painting Service:
http://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/
Gawalthaufen Blog (Late 15C Warfare):
http://gewalthaufen.blogspot.co.uk/
La Journee Blog (Early 15thC Warfare):
http://lajourney-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:32 am

Yes - like those. Very nice!

Love the way you've combined the various poses to tell 'stories'. I'm trying to plan something similar with my first Revolutionary War French National Guard battalions.
In enterprise of martial kind, When there was any fighting, He led his regiment from behind -
He found it less exciting.

http://worldcrisisinminiature.wordpress.com/
Gunfreak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gunfreak » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:44 pm

Realy great stuff,
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:45 pm

Curt,

that IS a magnificent unit.. truly. Wonderful feel and look... :D
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:14 pm

Superb stuff Curt but I couldn't be bothered putting the figures together, too many small bits for my fingers which are liable to get clued more than the figure.
Cheers
Dave
Churchill
General
General

Victrix 1804-07 French

Post by Churchill » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:40 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greystreak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Greystreak » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:46 pm

Whoa! Great brushwork, basing, and 'animation/choreography'! I'll look forward to seeing the whole brigade. :lol:
Bryce
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:52 pm

When I grow up I want to paint and base units just like this! My wife tells me to give up on the growing up part.

Those are fantastic figures - very nicely done.
Curt

Post by Curt » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:08 am

Thank you all for your kind words. Barry, I have been a great admirer of your work over the years so your comments are very encouraging.

18th Century Guy: I hear you. Except for the wage/salary, growing up, I believe, is highly over-rated. I have been blessed with a wife who tolerates (if not encourages) my particular arrested development regarding model soldiers.

Dave: Yes, the Victrix stuff is a bit of a challenge (the colourful language coming out of my hobby room during assembly would make a sailor blush) but the results can be worth the glued together digits.
dashing blade
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by dashing blade » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:05 am

Really inspiring stuff! looks amazing :D suddenly feel a need to buy victrix french......
(The historical evidence that God comes from Lancashire is slim, however he's definitely not from Yorkshire)
TIMUR57
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by TIMUR57 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:43 am

Fantastic work !!!!!
I'm planning to paint a project: Napoleon in Italy 1796/1797so, these pictures are very useful for me and give me a very good inspiration.

I love your stands. Can you tell me the size of each singular base?
Have you based your figures for which set of rules?

Thanks for help and compliments from Italy!!!!!

Andrea
Curt

Post by Curt » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:07 pm

Thanks for the kind words, Andrea.

For the rank-and-file I use a 30x50mm thin metal base (wxd) with four models on each. I find this give a nice compact shoulder-to-shoulder look (15mm frontage per figure) while allows some room to accommodate leveled muskets, mounted officers, angled flags, sword arms, etc. The extra depth also allows the placement of additional figures or terrain features to tart up the unit. I often put in sergeants and junior officers either in front of or behind the ranks (not required, but again, I like the look of it). For the command stands I use a 60x50mm base (wxd) as they are often the focal point and I like to have the room to pack in a few more models and do conversions. I find that this basing arrangement allows me to use them for several different rulesets (i.e. Lasalle, Black Powder, Shako) but they are perfect for Republic to Empire.

Sorry for the rambling response...

All the best from Canada!

Curt
valleyboy
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by valleyboy » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:55 am

Wow
Missed these Curt
Very well done :shock: