The raising of the Saxon Army 1810-1813

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: The raising of the Saxon Army 1810-1813

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:01 am

Dear Friends,

As I did a few shots for my sculptor of my so far finished Saxon Troops I like to place one of my favorite pics here. If anyone like to view them all I add the adress too.

http://s949.photobucket.com/albums/ad33 ... 0-%201813/

Enjoy.

Cheers,
Günter
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Greystreak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Greystreak » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:51 am

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Amazing collection Günter! :D
Bryce
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:08 am

Greystreak wrote::shock: :shock: :shock:

Amazing collection Günter! :D
Yes Bryce! And still growing :wink: :D

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:33 pm

That's a lovely collection you have there Gunter, it would be great to see it in operation on the table.
Cheers
Dave
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:52 am

obriendavid wrote:That's a lovely collection you have there Gunter, it would be great to see it in operation on the table.
Cheers
Dave
Thank You Dave, that is my wish too. Maybe in the coming Years between the Derby's :wink:

Günter

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:42 am

Dear Friends and Followers,

because of recently raised objections against my translations of the Schuster/Franke book I now crossreference with another book to get more accurate numbers. The book is kept in the Saechsische Landes- und Universitaetsbibliothek Dresden, brief SLUB, in a digitized format.
http://digital.slub-dresden.de/werkansicht/dlf/7536/
The Title is:
"Die Feldzuege der Sachsen in den Jahren 1812 und 1813" by C.F.X Cerrini, printed 1821.
So in a few days the next part of the "Diary" will follow with the fight along the Lesna-River.

Best Wishes,
Günter

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:09 pm

For all who are interested or have asked themselves "What the hell is a Geschwindstück (Schnellfeuergeschütz)?" will find here a good explanation of its use and history:

http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php? ... st%C3%BCck

Edit:
I had to put this in here because the Saxon Army has still 4 pieces of 4 pdrs with each of its 8 Line Regiments, 32 Geschwindstücke alltogether.

Thanks for reading
Günter
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:13 am

That is so cool! Thanks for this really interesting information.
Greg
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:25 am

From the Diary....
Fight along the Lesna, October 11th, 1812.
"The Russian had, as they attacked the position at Brzest, found it empty and at once started a pursuit of the retiring Saxons and Austrians. Our Saxon Corps took position on the very extended right and the Austrians on the left wing along the Lesna River. In the center of our position stands General Gablenz with the Light Troops, deployed in the copse's along the river banks, as connection between the seperated standing Infantry Divisions.
The Russians moved at once to the river intending to reconstruct the only removed bridge parts what only worked at the bridge of the small town of Kliniki. At this point the Light Infantry Regiment Lecoq had his defense perimeter and as the first Russian Company stormed accross the rebuilt bridge Mjr. v. Metzsch through himself with his Schuetzen against them and pusched them back over the river. Here the Major died a hero's death which inflamed the Schuetzen with thoughts of revenge and defended so furious that all Russian attempts to cross the river failed. The Brigade of General v. Steindel who was called forward to support the Schuetzen did see no actions therefore. Along the frontline the fightings of the brave Russian soldiers with the Saxon Troops continued until Dawn without a major breakthough and finding the Austrians unable to support our Corps being bound in their positions by diversions made by the Russians.
Not only did Mjr. v. Metzsch die here but also Obstlt. v. Egidy, Commander of the Light Infantry Regiment Lecoq. So both of the first Commanders of the Schuetzen Battalions have fallen on the same day at the same place.
Our losses were 4 Officers and 87 men.
While all attacks of the Russians have been repulsed on this day we retired further in the night of the 12th October.
Our route of retreat did go over Molczyn and Klimczica, where we crossed in the night of the 14th to 15th the Bug again, to Biala where we arrived on the 17th. The Austrians crossed the Bug at Drohiczyn and stood on the left of our Corps. As certain knowledge of the Russian were'nt to get Mjr. v. Seydlitz were sent on a Recon misson with both of the Ulan Squadrons.
He found a strong Russian Force moving fast against our position on which he falls back. The Russian Corps deployed for battle and started to attack our lines with its key point at the Biala-Mill. The intense fire of our Artillery hampered the advance of the Russians and supported the defense of the Infantry Battalions v. Niesemeuschel, Grenadier Battalion v.Anger and the 2nd Light Infantry Regiment. One Austrian Battery saw also action with great success. A Schuetzen detachment captured a Russian 12pdr gun.
All attempts made by the Russians were repulsed with success. Our losses were 1 Officier and 14 men dead, 8 Officers and 164 men wounded.
Until October 27th the combined Austrian-Saxon Corps remained in its position between Siedlce and Drohiczyn on the left bank of the Bug and crossed on the 29th and 30th over to the right bank.
On October 30th the French Brigade Maury of the Division Durutte joined our Corps. Our Corps was due to the losses melted down to a strenght of 12,238 men."

To be continued...

Best Wishes,
Günter
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greystreak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Greystreak » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:22 am

Very interesting, Günter--thank you for your translations! :D
Bryce
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:39 am

Today a shitload of Artillery arrived :shock:
So I can start now to build up the first of the 13 Foot Batteries. For now without train horses as they are still in the process of sculpting.

BP
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by BP » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:37 pm

Friedrich August I. wrote:Today a shitload of Artillery arrived :shock:
So I can start now to build up the first of the 13 Foot Batteries. For now without train horses as they are still in the process of sculpting.
Is that the metric or imperial shitload? :lol:

Bill
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:55 pm

Gross tons Bill, gross tons :D

obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:37 pm

Friedrich August I. wrote: Today a shitload of Artillery arrived.
I see you've been picking up some English phrases on your Derby weekends :lol:
Cheers
Dave
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:30 am

obriendavid wrote:
Friedrich August I. wrote: Today a shitload of Artillery arrived.
I see you've been picking up some English phrases on your Derby weekends :lol:
Cheers
Dave
Yeah, the colorful language there left some impression on me :wink: :lol: