The raising of the Saxon Army 1810-1813

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
Churchill
General
General

Re: The raising of the Saxon Army 1810-1813

Post by Churchill » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:02 am

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:22 am

Churchill wrote:Gunter, that's some force you have there...very nice indeed. :D
Looking forward to seeing the artillery next...

Best Wishes,

Ray.
Ray,

Thank You :D
The Artillery will take some time before it show's up here :roll: :(

Günter
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:25 am

Dear Friends,

as done before I gave my 'newcomers' the good feeling of pure sunlight and add some pictures of them with their Friends, the Ulans. :wink:

Now waiting for the next Chevau Legers to find their way to Austria :wink: :D

Best wishes and thanks for following

Günter

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:11 pm

Dear Friends,

here are the first pictures of the newly produces figurines of the Leib Grenadier Garde and the dismounted Hussars.
Attachments
Grenadier Garde.jpg
Grenadier Garde.jpg (36.36 KiB) Viewed 8229 times
Dismounted Hussars.jpg
Dismounted Hussars.jpg (40.32 KiB) Viewed 8229 times

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:33 am

From the Diary...
"To get in contact with the upcoming Austrians Reynier decided that, with knowledge of Prince Scharzenberg, it would be necessary to attack the Russian Forces under General Lamberg with his 8000 men and 12 Guns in front of Pruczany. After a hot exchange of cannonshots the Saxon Cavalry performed a series of splendid attacks against a superior Russian Cavalry(Black Hussars, Ulans and Cossacks) and pushed them back to Pruszany. The against the town advancing Austrians convinced Lamberg that a withdrawl to Kobryn should be done. The Austrians took over the pursuit and conquered on the same day the slightly defended defile of the Kossebrod Swamps. The Saxon Corps remaind on the 10th in Pruszany.
On the 11th we found the enemy in an, in terrain terms, advantageous position between Pobodna and Gorodeczna which General Reynier and General Schwarzenberg decided to attack."

To be continued...

Günter
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:05 pm

From the Diary...
"On the 11th the Enemy was found in a position that was secured by terrain features between Pobodna and Gorodeczna. On the other side of the town Gorodeczna the road formed a significant defile over a broad morass, enclosed on both sides with High Ground passing by the town in southwest direction. On this bejond the morass lying Heights the Russian Army of Tormassov awaited the Saxon-Austrian Korps in an almost unvulnerable position. The only secure passages through the Morass at Gorodeczna and Pobodna (a town on the road to Brzest) the Russians has covered with Artillery - the first with 12 guns and the second with 6 guns. Inexplicably was the woods, which was the anchor of the Russian left flank, in close proximity of a further passage over the forementioned morass completely ignored and unoccupied. By good fortune this passage was occupied by a unit of General Lecoq's Light Infantry on the evening of the 11th. General Reynier was able to tell that the left flank of the russian was their weakest spot and therefore agreed with Schwarzenberg that he, Reynier, would attack this point under cover of the pre-occupied woods by flanking the russian frontline. In the meantime Schwarzenberg should put pressure on the passages of Gorodeczna and Pobodna. Schwarzenberg detached the Horse Brigade Zechmeister and later the Austrian Division Bianchi to the Saxons."
The Battle of Pobodna, August 12th, 1812.
Gorodetschna 1812.jpg
Gorodetschna 1812.jpg (47.68 KiB) Viewed 8181 times
"At 9 O'Clock in the morning all Saxon Troops stood at Ready. General Reynier lead his troops to the Right, passing Pobodna, through the pre mentioned Wood arround the Russian Left Flank. This Movement surprised the Russian so they had to change considerably their position. The Saxons deployed their troops on a slight Rising in the rear of the Russian Position.
The Battle Order of the Saxons were as follow:
On the extreme right were the Austrian Cavalry Brigade Zechmeister, Regiment O'Reilly and Hohenzollern with it's Battery; followed to the left by the Saxon Cavalry Brigade, the Saxon Horse Battery and the Foot Battery v. Brause. The Center was formed by the first Saxon Infantry Division in one Line, to their left was part of the Austrian Division Bianchi formed in two Lines. The Left Wing was the Brigade v. Sahr with the 1. Light Infantry Regiment Lecoq.
To make the Enemy think about their Line of Retreat and force him to an early backward movement General Reynier intended to extend fast to the right to the road Pruczany-Kobryn but weakened his left wing so which was exposed to ongoing attacks by the Russians. The Brigade v. Sahr was under this circumstances hard pressed but managed to hold its ground together with the Regiment Lecoq and to repulse all attacks of the Enemy.
The Grenadier Battalions Anger and v.Spiegel formed Squares as strongpoints for those in open Order fighting Light Infantry men. The uneven battle on our left flank lasted until 7 O'Clock in the Evening at which time the Austrian Infantry Regiment Colloredo supported by Artillery had found a relative dry passage through the Morass and won with luck an attack against the defile at Pobodna. This attack led to the withdrawl of the enemy and ended with the growing darkness the fighting."

To be continued...

Günter

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:24 pm

From the Diary...
"As a result of the Battle at Pobodna we suffered losses of 175 dead including one Officer and 688 wounded including 17 Officers. The achievment was that the Saxon-Austrian Corps has followed the Russians to Volhynien. We reached on the 13th, at the same time as the Russians, Kobryn and prevented the distruction of the bridge there and also denied the Russian the entry to the town with Saxon Hussars. The Austrians followed the retreating Russians over Dywin and Ratno. The Saxon Corps marched over Kobryn, Brzest, Rudnia, Malarita, Drechowo and Gzazt were the Avantgarde on the 20th and the Gros of the Corps on the 22nd arrived."

To be continued...

Günter

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:30 am

Dear Friends,

Figure sculping front:
Currently work is in progress on the guns as previously mentioned to complete them. Mounted Hussars are almost finished. Next on the 'to do' list is the Light Infantry which will be a very animated bunch. Most of them will have wakling, firing or loading positions. Time will show if Steve finds time to start the Heavy Cavalry this Year too.

Figure painting front:
On the way to me are 2 Regiments Chevau Legers. Neil has started with the Line Infantry Regiments, 4 still to do, with their Grenadiers. Mixed into the delivery of the Line Troops are the Leib Grenadier Garde 2 Battalions strong. The gaps will be plugged with dismounted Hussars and some "Combat Commandos" for FIBUA. While this part runs smoothly Steve will have time for sculpting the Light Infantry which will be mixed into the paint job as soon as available. Somewhere on the way the Hussar Regiment with his 50 Figures will be painted too. The Artillery I will do myself.

Résumé:
2012 will see the finished Saxon Infantry with 26 Battalions of 36 Figures each. The 4 Light Cavalry with 36 Figures and the Hussars with 50 Figures.
Most likely their will be some Artillery support ready too, 4 to 6 Batteries at least.

Thanks for following this thread.
All comments and critics are still welcome.

Best Wishes
Günter

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:58 am

Dear Friends,

Short notice:
The Chevau Legers v. Polenz has arrived yesterday :D

EDIT:

The last Chevau Leger Regiment Prinz Albrecht has arrived today 8) :D

Both will be based within the next weeks :( .
Pictures following soon.

Thanks for following

Günter
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:32 pm

Long overdue :roll:
From the Diary...
"From the August 24th to 27th we remained in our position near Luboml while the Ulans were sent over the Bug to Oblice to cover our right flank. On a recon misson they discovered a large depot of food supplies.
On August 25th the enemy attacked our lines with 3 Cavalry Regiments and some guns which pushed back our Picketts but had to fall back when they came into contact with our support units. The low numbers of our weak cavalry forced us to use our Infantry to repell enemy cavalry what worked well most of the time. These events ensured our Infantry that they didn't have to fear the Russian cavalry even when the attacked us in greater numbers."

To be continued....

Günter

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:11 am

Dear Friends,

Yesterday I received interesting news from my Sculptor:
The Artillery has been finished and will go out today to be molded.

Also the last Hussar has been molded and will go into production next week. Currently I try to solve an issue with the Train Horses, searching for details about their harness.. :roll:

I keep you up to date as soon as the Artillery goes into production.

Thank You for following.

Günter

Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:49 am

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:13 am

Ray,

Thank You :D

I'll try my very best :wink:

Günter

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:37 am

Dear Friends,

Here are some pictures of the next Light Cavalry Brigade WIP:
It shows the based Regiments of Saxon Chevau Legers v. Polenz light blue and Prinz Albrecht dark green.

Both Regiments together

Best Wishes,
Günter

Greystreak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Greystreak » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:34 am

A few swords to straighten after basing :wink: , but looking very good, and well worth waiting for, Günter. What a mighty Saxon army you shall be bringing to Derby one day! :D
Bryce