The raising of the Saxon Army 1810-1813

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
Greystreak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: The raising of the Saxon Army 1810-1813

Post by Greystreak » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:08 pm

Beautiful unit, Günter, well based and finished! :D

(I like the way you left the lance tips 'dull' to prevent accidents! :lol: )
Bryce
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:07 pm

obriendavid wrote:These look great Gunter but remember don't go attacking any redoubts with them no matter what Bob says. :lol:
Cheers
Dave
Dave,
I allways follow the order of my commander! I would be proud to lead the Saxon Cavalry (even under Orders of Bob) against any enemy who has the gut's to show up or where ever they are hiding :twisted:
I am quite sure that it will be one of your Russian Units which will be hit by my Cavalry. :wink:

Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:08 pm

Greystreak wrote:Beautiful unit, Günter, well based and finished! :D

(I like the way you left the lance tips 'dull' to prevent accidents! :lol: )
Thanks You Bryce :D
Very mindfull of me to forget the lance tips :D

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:12 pm

From the Diary...
"On the July 26th General Reynier ordered, after receiving the urgent message from Gen. Klengel in Kobryn, the the Corps has to change it's direction and turn toward Kobryn to help the endangered Brigade as soon as possible. He sent order to Gen. Klengel to hold Kobryn until July 28th at least, re-occupie Brzest, keep up the conection with Antopol(east of Kobryn), heavy Recon against the Enemy and send at least half a Regiment to Pruczany to secure the warchest and the train there. The last part was executed by sending 2 Companies from Niesemeuschel, Mjr.v.Bose, to Pruczany. After their departure 2000 men of Regiment König and Niesemeuschel, 3 Squadrons of Ulan's and 8 Regimental 4 pdr's remained in Kobryn.(Plan)
Kobryn 1812.jpg
Kobryn 1812.jpg (75.92 KiB) Viewed 9076 times
For the Defence of the only of wooden structures built town of Kobryn were the 3 main entrance routes to Brzest, Dywin and Antopol occupied with 2 guns and 2-3 Companies, 1 Battalion König was positioned on the market(center) an 2 Companies and 2 Guns on the right shore of the River Muchawiez as a Reserve. Of the 3 Squadrons one each stood on the Roads to Brzest and Dywin, the 3rd on the right shore of the River Muchawiez part as Reserve, part to watch the Ford south of Kobryn and to cover the rear.

Engagement at Kobryn, July 27th 1812.
Early in the Morning the Ulan's covering the forementioned Roads were thrown back to Kobryn by large Cavalry Forces, 6 Russian Squadrons forded the River south of Kobryn and positioned themselves across the Road to Pruczany. At the same time Batteries unlimbered on the 3 from the West, South and East coming streets and opened fire on the Town.
If Gen. Reynier hadn't given order to hold Kobryn until the 28th now would have been the last chance for the Saxons there to remove themselves of the danger, even under heavy losses.
After the attack on the Dywiner Gate, conducted by a dismounted Russian Dragoon Regiment, was thrown back and after the attempt of Oberst(Col.) v. Zezschwitz to breack out with his 3 Squadrons Ulans to Pruczany was blocked by 11 Russian Squadrons the Russian Infantry moved at 10.30h against the allready burning Kobryn for the final assault.
After 2 Hours of heroic defense the lack of Ammunition forced the Saxons to fall back from the defended gates to the market.
Only after a 9 hour fight through a burning town without ammunition Gen. v. Klengel forced himself to offer the Surrender of his Troops.
The Russians had 12.000 men and 22 guns in the attack on Kobryn with a further 20.000 men in Reserve. Our losses were 108 dead and 13 Officers and 165 men wounded on that day out of 76 Officers and 2382 men."

The braveness of the Saxon was recognized by the Russians by letting keep the officers their Sabers.

To be continued...
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:43 pm

Dear Friends,

I proudly present the first glimps on the Prinz Johann Chevauleger Regiment - WIP

Hope to have them based this week

Enjoy

Best Wishes,
Günter
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:14 pm

Dear Followers of this Thread,

My Sculptor has me informed that the Leib Grenadier Garde and the Hussar's have been sent to be molded and are expected to be ready for casting next week. As soon as they are back I hope to have some pictures for you.

Thanks for following.

Günter

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:50 pm

From the Diary...
" On August 3rd 1812 we combined our strenght with the Austrian who we met. The Corps Commanders decided to take up the offensive again at the same day. General Gablenz with the Advanced Guard remained in his position at Slonim until August 4th when he converged with the corps and moved in front of them again. Our Saxon Corps moved on the 3rd in the vincinity of Sokolow and Rinki, on the 4th to Iwas-Kopicky, on the 5th to Podorsk and on the 6th to Nowi-Dwar. On the 7th we reached Wielkawies where we rested on the 8th and 9th."

To be continued....

Thanks for reading,

Günter

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:16 pm

Dear Friends,

here is my latest addition to my growing Saxon Army:
The Saxon Chevau Leger Regiment Prinz Johann. 32 Figures are on the table 4 more figures are currently, for both Regiments, only on paper available. So this Regiments are of 720 men strength each.

Both Regiments, Prinz Clemens Ulanen(on the right Side)and Prinz Johann Chevau Legers( on the left Side).

The 1st Infantry Division in the background.

The 1st Infantry Division alone.

Enjoy the sight as I do.

Günter

18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:30 am

Wow! They are beautiful.
Greg
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:30 am

They look fantastic Günter!

I am amused by the huge stacks of bases 'in reserve' in the last picture :lol:
In enterprise of martial kind, When there was any fighting, He led his regiment from behind -
He found it less exciting.

http://worldcrisisinminiature.wordpress.com/
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:54 am

Gregg & John,

thank you for your praises :D .

The huge amount of bases are the result of the not knowing how many cavalry figures I should put on the bases. But they are only the smaller part :wink: . Most of them will now be used for my future project of the Saxons in the GNW.

Thanks for watching

Günter

barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:13 am

Gunter,

the highly impressive Saxon Army must surely be marching west at some point!!!! How will you afford all of the Ferry tickets to get those hundreds of men to England :shock: :shock: :shock:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:37 am

barr7430 wrote:Gunter,

the highly impressive Saxon Army must surely be marching west at some point!!!! How will you afford all of the Ferry tickets to get those hundreds of men to England :shock: :shock: :shock:
With Saxon ingenuity and Scottish wisdom :wink: :D

toggy
Major General
Major General

Post by toggy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:40 am

Gunter,

you must buy a camper van, enough room for the driver & all his little lead friends :D :D :D :D

Bob
We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction. Macarthur, Douglas
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:55 am

toggy wrote:Gunter,

you must buy a camper van, enough room for the driver & all his little lead friends :D :D :D :D

Bob
Bob,

that's one part of the mystery to solve :D