The raising of the Saxon Army 1810-1813

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: The raising of the Saxon Army 1810-1813

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:58 pm

Greystreak wrote:Impressive progress on your 'lead pile', Günter, and I love the display cases for storage. :D
Yes, but not much space left :shock: :cry:

Only the top is still 'empty' but as soon as the Leib-Grendiers and the Light Infantry Regiments are done there will be no space left for the three Heavy Cavalry Regiments... :roll:
And Artillery wont be displayed at all
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:11 am

Dear Friends,

Since my last posting not much has happened because all that X-Mas fuzz.
My desk still bends under the weight of the so-called 'shit load' of Artillery which has been augmented by the small Artillery of my GNW Army.

Yesterday, with some delay, the remaining Artillery crews, together with the long anticipated Leib-Grenadier Garde, arrived. Glue'd on bases this morning they gave me the much needed a-s-s-kick to continue the basing works for all the other units including the Artillery and the Grenadiers.

If nothing else disturbs my newly found enthusiasm I hope to finish at least one or two units this weekend.

Let's see...

Cheers,
Günter
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Greystreak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New 1813 Saxons by Paul Hicks

Post by Greystreak » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:19 pm

Hi Günter,

Saw these new Paul Hicks sculpts at Westfalia Miniatures and thought of you, for your 1813 campaigning . . . http://westfaliaminiatures.com/ .

:shock: :D
Bryce
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: New 1813 Saxons by Paul Hicks

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:09 pm

Greystreak wrote:Hi Günter,

Saw these new Paul Hicks sculpts at Westfalia Miniatures and thought of you, for your 1813 campaigning . . . http://westfaliaminiatures.com/ .

Hi Bryce,

Wow!
They look great to say the least :shock:
Why is life allways so tempting :roll: :wink:

turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:13 pm

Greystreak wrote:Hi Günter,

must admit taht there naopoeonic saxons look very nice . also like the caple minitures range but to much gap's in the range and they never seem to add new figures .
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:27 am

turrabear wrote:..must admit taht there naopoeonic saxons look very nice . also like the caple minitures range but to much gap's in the range and they never seem to add new figures .
That is the reason why we, Steve Barber and me, are not to leave any so-called 'gaps' with our range of 28mm Saxons open and are intending to do all branches of the Saxon Army 1810-13.
At the current state we have the Line Infantry completed, the Leib Grenadier Garde, the Foot Artillery - Crew men, 6 pdrs cannons and 8pdr Howitzers, the Limbers and Caissons, the complete Light Cavalry of Chevauxlegers and Ulans, as well as the Hussars.
Branches still in the process of sculpting are the Train Horses with their Riders, the Horse Artillery with mounted Crew, the 4 pdr Regimental Cannon, the 12 pdr Cannon, the Light Infantry and the Heavy Cavalry.

From a historical view the Saxon Army was allways formed of the same units and the Saxon King did not follow the temptation of so many other states to form new types of troops. Only one time the King followed the recommendations of his Officers and ordered the formation of the Light Infantry and a Train Battalion 1810.
The Light Infantry was formed out of the Regiments-Schuetzen, trained men in doing skirmish combat and their ranks were bolstered by soldiers of the dissolved Line Regiments.
The Train Battalion was the better solution to have a standing unit of draft horses and soldiers at hand than 'buying' them from the peasentry for the endurance of the campaign.

Günter

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:46 am

Dear Friends,

The pronounced A-S-S-KICK has brought up the following:

The Saxon Leib Grenadier Garde, 1st Battalion

The Saxon Engineer Corps, part of the Artillery Regiment

The Saxon Foot Artillery, here one of the 8pdr Howitzers

One of my first vignettes, an Officers watching the enemy and his back covered by a kneeling Saxon Hussar.

With the bases shown above I tried a different approach of 'groundwork'. More use of Paint and lesser using of grass material.

More to follow soon.
Thanks for following,

Günter

Russian James
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Russian James » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:52 pm

I like them, very nice.

Now where are the rest of the thousands...? :D
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:37 pm

Very nice Gunter!
I especially like the officer looking through the telescope vignette.
Cheers
Dave
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:52 pm

Gunter,
Very inspiring...great work!
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:44 am

Russian James wrote:I like them, very nice.

Now where are the rest of the thousands...? :D
Jim,

Thank You!
"Thousands..." depends on which you mean :D
Sofar I posted pictures of 360 Infantry and 150 Cavalry Figures. The remaining 576 are on the one hand based or not yet sculpted.

Günter

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:48 am

Thank You Dave!
It was only a first try so more to come in the future.

Thanks Greg,
The pictures are ment to be inspiring...mostly myself :D :wink:

Cheers,
Günter

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:53 pm

Again Derby gave me an inspirational push and so I herewith present the last additions to my Collection:

Grenadier Battalion von Liebenau

Dismounted Hussars

A Grenadier Officer

Brigade Commander of the next Brigade, Mjr.Gen. v. Steindel

The long waited for 1st Saxon 6pdr Foot Battery

Here together with the 2nd 6pdr Foot Battery

Thanks for following.
All comments are welcome.

Best wishes,
Günter

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:55 am

Dear Friends and Followers of this thread,

With some reluctance I have to confess that I have to lower my expectations for this year to complete the Saxon Army.
My Sculptor suffered a state of exhaustion from sculpting so many miniatures over this long period :( . To not increase this state I agreed with him to reduce the amount of figures sculpted to more suitable batches to give him more time to relax and time for his girlfriend.
As we already missed the goal of 2012 we now wont be able to finish the Napoleonic Saxon Army in 2013 as there are still alot of figures to be done:
Saxon Light Infantry, Saxon Horse Artillery, Draft Horses for Train and Artillery, the Heavy Cavalry, and last but not least, Staff and General Officers.

So for the time beiing news of recently produced new figures will be cut short and sofar I show here only newly based units.

More news as they arrive.
Thanks for following.

Cheers,
Günter

Greystreak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Greystreak » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:05 pm

Sometimes, the best things are worth waiting for . . . :wink:
Bryce