The raising of the Saxon Army 1810-1813

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: The raising of the Saxon Army 1810-1813

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:54 am

To make yourself a picture of it here is a view of my desk :lol:

There are already some Artillery men and Officers strolling arround helping to sort out what part is for which model :lol: as there are hundreds of them :shock:
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:39 pm

It's going to take some time to paint that lot plus limbers and caissons but I look forward to seeing them all finished in the future.
Cheers
Dave
Greystreak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Greystreak » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:42 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Bryce
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:09 pm

obriendavid wrote:It's going to take some time to paint that lot plus limbers and caissons but I look forward to seeing them all finished in the future.
Cheers
Dave
Yes Dave, it will take plenty of time, that's for sure. But as you know the color of the guns is quite simple to acomplish: Charcoal frame/woodwork, yellow metalworks and brass/golden gun barrels. There will be a loud humming noice with all this 'bumblebee' Artillery firing a salvo :D :wink:
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:15 pm

Greystreak wrote::shock: :shock: :shock:
Bryce my Friend :D

Dont be shocked, this isn't the complete Artillery I raise :wink:
That is only the stuff for 13 6pdr foot and 2 6pdr Horse Batteries.
The Caissons are the only stuff that is for the complete Artillery Regiment. There are still 3 Batteries of 12pdr and eight 4gun 4 pdr Regimental Batteries missing :D

So relax and take a deep breath.

Best Wishes,
Günter
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greystreak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Greystreak » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:30 pm

Friedrich August I. wrote:Dont be shocked, it isn't the complete Artillery I raise :wink:
Are you sure you weren't a Russian in a previous life? :lol:

And I thought I had a lot of guns to paint . . . ! :oops:
Bryce
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:38 pm

Greystreak wrote:
Friedrich August I. wrote:Dont be shocked, it isn't the complete Artillery I raise :wink:
Are you sure you weren't a Russian in a previous life? :lol:

And I thought I had a lot of guns to paint . . . ! :oops:
Hm, well, yes that thought occurs to me sometime's :roll: :wink:
But then I think about the historical connection between Russia and Saxony I am quite sure that Tsar Peter was impressed by what he had seen in Dresden when visiting August the Strong. On the other hand August was probably impressed by the mass of the Russian Artillery. So both Monarchs must have learned something.. :D

EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:14 pm

That is a little bit of artillery you have there old chap :) :) & I too cant wait to see what it looks like painted.

:evil: Ginger
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:33 am

While assembling the first Batteries a thought strucked my mind :roll: .
When I put all 16 Foot Batteries on the Table, side by side, they would cover a frontage of 288 cm or more then 113" :shock: representing 96 guns.

Greystreak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Greystreak » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:26 pm

"Honey, we are going to need a bigger table!" :shock: :roll: :lol:
Bryce
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:24 pm

Greystreak wrote:"Honey, we are going to need a bigger table!" :shock: :roll: :lol:
Bryce, that sounds if you said that more than once to your wife (or vice versa) :lol: :lol:

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:30 pm

Now my Mount of painted Lead gets a new Height :shock: :shock:
Not that I had not enough work with my Artillery, no, I now have received my superlarge Hussar Regiment :roll: .

And my painter, struck by madness :twisted: , announced that on December 13th the next 3 Battalions will make their way to me :shock:

That means in terms of numbers I have to base 216 Infantry, 114 Cavalry and my sweet little Foot Artillery Regiment :D .

Happy gluing, basing or WHAT?!

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:02 pm

Ok, I started with 6 Foot Batteries as that seems a manageable goal.
While putting the Batteries together I noticed that I had to few Artillery men so my painter will have to do 32 more plus Artillery Drummer and Sappers (Zimmerleute). As mentioned before only the vehicles, like Limbers and Caissons, will be done because the Limber horses and their drivers are not sculpted yet.
With some of the remaining guns I will also start to make the Regimental Batteries and replace the 6pdrs with 4pdrs as soon as they are sculpeted and available.
One thing I have to live with is that the Saxon guns where relativly low in their appearence. The wheels for the 6 pdr and the 12pdr were only of 54" in diameter. For the 4pdr they are even smaller.

I post pictures of the WIP soon.

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:04 am

So here are a few pictures of the WIP:

Currently unfinished bases but already a force - the Hussars - 48 mounted figures strong with 2 command stands and 9 dismounted skirmisher stand.

The work on the 6 Foot Batteries is a crawling one but I think You get the picture.

And here is a few pictures of the finished and the unfinished Saxon Troops

Enjoy,

I wish you all a Merry Christmas!

Günter

Greystreak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Greystreak » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:37 pm

Impressive progress on your 'lead pile', Günter, and I love the display cases for storage. :D
Bryce