Question about painting Perry plastic cavalry

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
Yermolov
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Question about painting Perry plastic cavalry

Post by Yermolov » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:17 am

Greetings all,

After a lost summer hobby-wise I'm getting back into the swing of things and am getting ready to paint up two boxes of the Perry plastic French dragoons. They look like excellent figures and I will enjoy painting them up.

Quick question for those folks that have already painted some of plastic cavalrymen: Do you fully assemble the figures before painting them, or do you build and paint the horses and riders separately? I'm trying to figure out which process would be easier to deal with and am undecided currently.

Thanks,

Bart
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:30 am

definitely assemble them first. It will save you considerable hassle and grief :)
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:57 pm

I ALWAYS PAINT HORSE AND RIDER SEPERATELY
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Yermolov
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Yermolov » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:38 pm

Split opinion so far. :D
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:55 pm

I always completely assemble my minis before painting... :D

The answer you are probably going to end up with is 'maybe'.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:17 pm

As far as possible I always like to have my figures put together before painting as I feel I get a better bond with the glue instead of basically sticking two lots of paint together. There's no right or wrong way to do this it's what you feel comfortable with that counts.
Cheers
Dave
BP
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by BP » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:45 pm

For all my victrix british infantry they were painted on the sprue and then assembled. My flawed logic being it was easier to get at the cross belts etc without arms/muskets being in the way. You do have to do a touch up though once the figures are assembled, but given my ham fisted approach to painting it works for me.

Bill.
bibio
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by bibio » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:42 am

i found that painting the horses and figures sepeately worked best for me,also when it comes to carbines I paint them on the sprue then add them on when the horse and rider are together.

iain
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:51 pm

I always fully assemble my figures on the basis that, "if the brush can't reach it then the eye can't see it". I have posted several images on this site which are easily recognisable by the unsightly white bits that the brush couldn't reach.

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:13 pm

CoffinDodger wrote:I always fully assemble my figures on the basis that, "if the brush can't reach it then the eye can't see it". I have posted several images on this site which are easily recognisable by the unsightly white bits that the brush couldn't reach.

Jim
Jim, that's one of the reasons that a black undercoat is useful, any missed areas just look like dark shading.
Cheers
Dave
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:34 pm

obriendavid wrote: Jim, that's one of the reasons that a black undercoat is useful, any missed areas just look like dark shading.
Cheers
Dave
Dave,

That's one of the reasons I invariably use a black undercoat except on my "new" Napoleonic habit blancs that I'm painting now.

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
Atheling
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Atheling » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:42 pm

barr7430 wrote:I ALWAYS PAINT HORSE AND RIDER SEPERATELY
Yep, I concur. It's a lot easier to glue them together post paint job than it is to fiddle around on the "hard to get at" bits whilst painting.

Darrell.
Just Add Water High Quality Painting Service:
http://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/
Gawalthaufen Blog (Late 15C Warfare):
http://gewalthaufen.blogspot.co.uk/
La Journee Blog (Early 15thC Warfare):
http://lajourney-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:42 pm

I agree with Dave. If I can't reach it with a brush, it's in shadow. It's actually faster for me. Also, I leave thin black lines around the different parts of a figure, which include the saddle and backside of the rider. It's a pain to go back in and paint black lines on such areas.